Boards & Commissionsupdated: Tuesday, September 29, 2015
Citizen involvement improves the quality and responsiveness of public decision-making. Serving as a member of a board or commission offers an excellent opportunity to become actively involved in your city government. The City of St. Louis Park welcomes its citizens to share their talents and perspectives by serving on an advisory Board or Commission. In exchange for your commitment of both time and effort, these committees influence the policies, actions and progress of our community.
Individuals interested in being considered for an appointment to a Board or Commission should submit an application form to the City Clerk's Office. Applications are available at City Hall, by contacting the City Clerk's office at 952.924.2505 if you would like an application mailed to you, or get the Board or Commission application pdf. Applications for all Boards and Commissions, with the exception of the Charter Commission, will be reviewed by City Council. Applicants must be able to attend scheduled evening meetings.
In order to provide young people with an opportunity to contribute their ideas and to participate in City Government, several advisory groups have positions for youth representatives. Interested high school youth (public, private or home-school) should check the "Student (under 18)" box at the top of the application form.
Current Board & Commission Vacancies:
The following Boards & Commissions currently have vacancies:
- Charter Commission whose mission is to evaluate and propose changes which are warranted in the City Home Rule Charter as provided by State Statute. The Commission also monitors legislative activities on an on-going basis. All members are appointed by Hennepin County Chief Judge Peter Cahill. (One vacancy – 4 year term)
- Youth Commissioners serve a one-year term. There is one Youth Commissioner vacancy on the Telecommunications Advisory Commission.
To learn more about each commission, review agenda and minutes, and to see a list of current members and staff liaison contact information, please click one of the following links:
- Board of Zoning Appeals
- Charter Commission
- Environment & Sustainability Commission: Sustainable SLP
- Fire Civil Service Commission
- Housing Authority
- Human Rights Commission
- Parks & Recreation Commission
- Planning Commission
- Police Advisory Commission
- Telecommunications Commission
Other opportunities to serve:
- Basset Creek Watershed Management Commission
- Community Education Advisory Commission