Below, you will find links to information about development activity within the City of St. Louis Park and a development location map. If you have further questions, please call the Community Development Department at 952.924.2575.
- Excelsior & Monterey (4400, 4424 Excelsior Blvd, 3743 Monterey Drive)
- Former McGarvey Coffee Property (5725 Hwy 7)
- Marriott Minneapolis West Hotel (9960 Wayzata Blvd)
- Meadowbrook Golf Course Restoration Project
- Methodist Hospital Flood Wall (6500 Excelsior Blvd)
- Parkway 25 (Redevelopment of Vescio's & Valu Stay Inn)
- Super America Express gas station (6405 Minnetonka Blvd)
- 4900 Excelsior Blvd (4760, 4900 Excelsior Blvd)
- AC Hotel by Marriott (5075 Wayzata Blvd)
- Arlington Row-East (7700 Block Wayzata Blvd & 13th Ln)
- Arlington Row-West (Wayzata Blvd & Texas Ave SW corner)
- The Bridgewater Comprehensive Plan Amendment (4400, 4424 Excelsior Blvd, 3743 Monterey Drive)
- Central Park West (1511 Utica Ave S)
- Elmwood West Subdivision (9301 Franklin Ave S)
- Japs-Olson (7400, 7500 Excelsior Blvd)
- Kia Dealership *changed to Lincoln Dealership (6475, 6501 Wayzata Blvd)
- Methodist Hospital Expansion (6500 Excelsior Blvd)
- Minnota Addition (4903 Cedar Lake Rd)
- Millennium at West End Apartments (5245 Wayzata Blvd)
- Mister Car Wash (8700 State Highway 7
- New Horizons Day Care (2460 State Highway 100)
- Oak Hill II Office Building (3340 Republic Ave S)
- The Rec Center - Outdoor Ice Rink (3700 Monterey Drive)
- The Shoppes at Knollwood (8332 Hwy 7)
- Sherwin Williams Paint Store (4911 Excelsior Blvd)
- The Shoreham (3000, 3915 CSAH 25; 3907, 3914, 3916 31St St W; 3031 Glenhurst Av S)
- Siena Apartment Homes (Formerly Eliot Park) (6800 Cedar Lake Rd)
- The West End (1600 West End Blvd)
- Westside Center Phase III CUP & Izzie Addition (5320 West 23rd Street)
- Westside Center - Phase II Lyman Lumber Expansion (5320 W 23rd St)
- Westside Center Phase I (former Nestle Building) (5320 W 23rd St)
- Wooddale Flats (3996 Wooddale Ave S)
Description: The vacant Bally Total Fitness block next to Excelsior and Grand will soon be redeveloped with a six-story mixed-use building. The new structure will feature approximately 164 apartments (including 18 affordable units) 28,228 square feet of ground floor commercial space (to be leased to Fresh Thyme grocery store),...
updated: Monday, May 23, 2016
Description: A 126-room AC Hotel by Marriott that is six stories (84 ft.) tall is proposed in the Southwest quadrant of Highways 100 and 394. The property is located east of Utica Avenue on Wayzata Boulevard. The site is part of the overall West End and Central Park West redevelopments. The site also is on the border of St. Louis Park and Golden...
updated: Thursday, April 07, 2016
Description: The City of St. Louis Park received applications for Preliminary and Final Plat and Preliminary and Final Planned Unit Development to develop an apartment building on the vacant parcel located between Wayzata Boulevard and 13th Lane. The proposed building is three stories tall and would have 27 dwelling units. The proposed site plan...
Location: 4400 and 4424 Excelsior Boulevard
Description: Dominium Development and Bridgewater Bank applied for a Comprehensive Plan Amendment for a joint redevelopment at the NE corner of Excelsior Blvd and Monterey Drive. Preliminary plans depict a six-story building with approximately 170 residential units and 17,000 sf of commercial space – the majority of which will be occupied by a new branch of Bridgewater Bank.
A neighborhood meeting regarding the proposal was held April 21, 2015, at the Bridgewater Bank Office located at 4400 Excelsior Blvd.
The Planning Commission recommended approval of the Comprehensive Plan Amendment at a public hearing May 6, 2015. The City Council approved the Comprehensive Plan amendment on June 1, 2015. The development will also require a Plat and Planned Unit Development.
See also: Excelsior & Monterey link under Proposed Development for information on current applications.
Additional Traffic Review
As a part of the discussion for this development at the June 1, 2015 meeting, questions were raised regarding traffic growth in the corridor. City Council asked staff to complete additional traffic analysis for the Park Commons Drive/Monterey Drive intersection and to review traffic on 36 ½ Street. In response to these requests, additional traffic review was completed.
Corridor Traffic Growth Analysis
In 2001 a comprehensive corridor traffic study was completed in anticipation of redevelopment in the corridor. This study projected what traffic growth would be through year 2015 and provided recommended road and intersection improvements to accommodate the new traffic. To check in with the assumptions for growth in the study the City hired a consultant to perform an audit of the assumptions in this study. Below is the original study as well as the audit report. In general, the traffic in the Excelsior Boulevard corridor has not increased at the rate anticipated in the Excelsior Boulevard Traffic Study (2001). While there are some localized intersection traffic delays, overall, there is capacity in the corridor for redevelopment.
Excelsior Boulevard Traffic Study (2001)
Developer: Dominium Development and Bridgewater Bank
Location: 4400 and 4424 Excelsior Boulevard and 3743 Monterey Drive
Description: Dominium Development and Bridgewater Bank propose redeveloping the northeast corner of Excelsior Boulevard and Monterey Drive. The preliminary plans depict a six-story building with 168 residential units, 17,000 sf of ground floor commercial space, and structured parking.
The current development applications include easement vacations, preliminary plat to combine the parcels and preliminary planned unit development (which would rezone the property and create a zoning district specific to this development site).
The City Council previously approved a Comprehensive Plan amendment to guide the property for Mixed Use development on June 1, 2015. For more information about that process and traffic studies that were completed in 2015, please see The Bridgewater Comprehensive Plan Amendment link under the Approved Developments.
Developer: Dominium Development and Bridgewater Bank
- An informational open house was held on Thursday, March 3, 2016.
- The Planning Commission held a public hearing on Wednesday, March 16, 201,. and recommended approval of the applications.
- City Council held a study session on this application on April 18, 2016. Based on the City Council discussion, formal consideration of the preliminary plat and preliminary PUD will likely be delayed until sometime in June 2016.
Preliminary Development Plans:
updated: Monday, May 02, 2016
Location: 7500 Excelsior Blvd.
Description: Japs-Olson plans to expand its industrial facility at the northwest quadrant of Excelsior Boulevard and Meadowbrook Road. The major commercial printer and direct mail company plans to add 192,000 sf of production and warehouse space to its existing 513,000 sf building which is expected to result in approximately 150 new jobs.
Since the proposed expansion site bisects property located in St. Louis Park and Hopkins the two cities completed a municipal boundary adjustment to facilitate the project. The City Council approved plans for construction of an off-site parking lot across the street at 7400 Excelsior Blvd which was completed in 2015.
To facilitate the improvements, the applicant submitted applications for a Comprehensive Plan Amendment to guide the future use of the lands added to St. Louis Park as Industrial and amend the Zoning Map to zone the same property Industrial Park (IP), a Plat to combine the parcels into one lot, and a Conditional Use Permit associated with the building addition.
The City Council approved the plans in early 2016. Construction commenced in spring 2016.
Developer: Japs-Olson Company
Description: The City of St. Louis Park received an application for a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) to construct a second hotel at this location. The hotel is proposed to be located on the north side of the existing hotel. It is proposed to be six stories with 142 rooms. The two hotels will have a pedestrian connection allowing customers to have...
Proposed improvements include re-meandering of Minnehaha Creek on golf course property. The project would address flooding issues on the property by maintaining the current volume of floodplain storage through modifications to the golf course and increasing the effective length of Minnehaha Creek within the site while increasing the natural...
updated: Wednesday, May 18, 2016
Construction of the flood wall would take place in the floodplain and floodway of Minnehaha Creek. Construction of the flood wall will result in 1,175 cubic yards of impact in the floodplain. To offset the impact to the floodplain, the project proposes to excavate materials in the wetland to add compensating storage of 1,815 cubic yards. The disturbed...
Location: 2460 State Highway 100
Description: New Horizons Academy submitted applications to open a daycare facility at this location. The proposed daycare would occupy the entire building and have an outdoor play located behind the building. The proposal requires the following approvals from the city:
- Comprehensive plan amendment to change the land use map designation for this property from Office to Commercial.
- Zoning map amendment to change the zoning for this property from Office to Neighborhood Commercial (C-1).
- Variance to allow the outdoor play area to be located less than 200 feet from Highway 100.
Public Meetings: The following meetings are scheduled. Please check back here for updates as the applications proceed through the process.
- A neighborhood meeting was conducted for a similar application in October of 2015. The daycare was well received, however, that applicant withdrew. A neighborhood meeting will not be conducted for the New Horizons Academy proposal since the previous neighborhood meeting was held recently, and the applications are very similar.
- The Planning Commission held a public hearing on the applications and recommended approval of the requests on March 2, 2016 at 6 p.m.
- The City Council approved the request on April 4, 2016.
Developer: New Horizon Academy
Gary Morrison, assistant zoning administrator
updated: Monday, May 09, 2016
The skate park located on the west side of The Rec Center, 3700 Monterey Drive, has been temporarily moved for the 2016 season to Nelson Park, 2500 Georgia Ave. S. and is available for use. The relocation is necessary due to construction of the new outdoor recreation facility at the skate park location. The skate park will continue to be a parks...
Location: Super America located at 6405 Minnetonka Blvd.
Description: The City of St. Louis Park received an application for a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) to operate a Super America Express gas station at this location. The applicant is proposing to use the property and building as is, with some modifications to landscaping.
- An informational neighborhood meeting was held on Thursday, April 14 from 6:30 - 7:30 p.m. It will be held in the Community Room located on the first floor of City Hall.
- The Planning Commission held a public hearing on May 4, 2016, and recommended approval of the request with conditions.
- The City Council will consider the application on June 6, 2016.
Staff Contact: Assistant Zoning Administrator Gary Morrison, 952.924.2592, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicant: Yousef Abumayaleh