History St. Louis Park, Minnesota
Generally, development progressed outward from the original village center at the intersection of the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railroad (now CP Rail) with Wooddale Avenue. However, this concentric pattern wasn't strong and was overtaken by Minneapolis expansion. By 1883, the western boundary of Minneapolis was at France Avenue. The Minneapolis...
updated: Monday, February 29, 2016
The St. Louis Park Historical Society was created in 1970 with the mission to Collect, Preserve and Disseminate knowledge about the history of St. Louis Park.
The Society operates two sites:
- The Historic Milwaukee Road Depot in Jorvig Park, 37th and Brunswick Avenue. The Depot, which is maintained as a railroad museum, is typically open to the public on Saturday afternoons between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. from June 1 to mid-September. Check the website to confirm operating hours.
- Historical Society Office, 3546 Dakota Avenue, Suite C. The office is where the Society keeps its files, photographs, yearbooks, school materials and other records. It is typically open on Saturdays, please check the website for operating hours, and everyone is invited to come and look through the collection or just talk history.
- Both facilities are also available by appointment.
The extensive website of the Historical Society is www.slphistory.org. It has hundreds of pages and photos that provide information about just about every aspect of Park's past, including schools, businesses, people, buildings, streets, places of worship and much more.
The Re-Echo newsletter is published quarterly and is available on the website.
Something in the Water is a book of memoirs that the Society sells for $20.
Oral histories and other programs are produced in conjunction with the city's Community TV department.
Membership and donation information is available on the website’s home page. Membership in the Society not only provides critical operating funds but also shows potential funders that the mission of the Society is supported by the community.