Home Ownership Programs
Homes Within Reach is a program of West Hennepin Affordable Housing Land Trust that purchases properties, rehabilitates and then turns around and sells the home to qualified low to moderate income households. Buyers pay for the cost of the home only and lease the land for 99 years. City funds are leveraged with Hennepin County Affordable Housing...
updated: Friday, March 25, 2016
Once the employee obtains a mortgage from a participating lender, the grant can be used to help finance a down payment, closing costs and gap financing. The program not only gives workers an opportunity to own a home close to their job, it increases employee loyalty, retention, and morale, and creates a positive community building environment for the...
updated: Thursday, March 31, 2016
Each year the City attempts to control, for the greater good of our community, tall grass and noxious weeds that can spread and take over landscapes. The noxious weed control effort is a partnership of the State of Minnesota, Department of Agriculture (MDA), Hennepin County Environmental Services and the local government entity, City of St...
updated: Friday, December 11, 2015
Community Action Partnership of Suburban Hennepin is now offering a Foreclosure Prevention Hotline to help homeowners who are in danger of losing their homes. The Hotline number is (952) 933-1993.
"CAPSH is acting aggressively to help reduce the growing number of foreclosures in suburban Hennepin County," said CAPSH Operations Director Scott Zemke. "Our agency has more than quadrupled its capacity to help those in crisis."
The CAPSH Foreclosure Prevention Program provides information, advocacy, referrals to additional resources and other assistance to homeowners who are having trouble paying their mortgage.
The new Foreclosure Prevention Hotline will directly connect homeowners with professionals who can help them through the process.
CAPSH is a nonprofit agency dedicated to improving the lives of low-income individuals and families and suburban Hennepin County. For more information on CAPSH programs and services, visit www.capsh.org.
updated: Monday, March 14, 2016
Reduce toxic chemicals in your St. Louis Park home and reduce the amount you spend on cleaner, leaving your house smelling clean and fresh. Below are just a few ways to clean your house using natural products:
General Cleaner: 1/2 cup baking soda mixed with a liquid vegetable based soap makes a great cleaner for counters (and won't leave scratches), sinks and other surfaces.
Disinfectant Spray: 2 cups water, 1/2 cup vinegar and 10 drops of an essential oil like lemon oil or tea tree oil. Spray this onto counters, bathroom, and floors.
Window and Glass Cleaner: Club soda in a spray bottle. Wipe clean.
Furniture Polish: Put olive oil and lemon juice on a clean cloth. Wipe onto wood. Wipe off. Take care not to get onto upholstery.
Find more green recipes at Clean and Green.
updated: Monday, April 18, 2016
Emergency Repair Program
- Grants of up to $4,000
- Immediate emergency repairs such as furnace replacement, roof repair, etc.
- Household income of 50 percent of area median income (2014 Income Limits based on household size: Family of 1 - $29,050; family of 2 - $33,200; family of 3 - $37,350; family of 4 - $41,150; for larger families contact Bill O'Meara for income limits)
- Administered by CAPSH for the City of St. Louis Park
- Contact Bill O'Meara at 952.697.1310
Deferred Loan Program
- Maximum loan amount of $30,000 depending on fund availability
- 0 percent interest loan
- Covers basic safety, maintenance, improvements
- Loan deferred until the sale of the home, or after 15 years the loan is forgiven
- Household income limits apply.
- Administered by Hennepin County
- Contact Hennepin County Housing Rehabilitation Staff at 612.348.9260
First-time Homebuyer Low-Interest Mortgages
- 30-year mortgage rate approximately 1 percent below market rate
- Household income limits apply; limit increases with household size
- Details at www.mnhousing.gov or contact 651.296.8215
updated: Thursday, March 31, 2016
- Arbor Day Foundation
- Metro Blooms
- Minnesota Nursery and Landscape Association
- Minnesota Grown
- Sustainable Urban Landscape Information Series
- University of Minnesota Extension Service
- Gardening Matters