Home Remodeling Programs
The City of St. Louis Park has a remodeling planbook available to assist residents with ideas on how to renovate their cape cod or rambler homes. Our goal in this book is to take three of the most common house types and show how each can be updated and improved in a manner consistent with the style and character of the existing house.&...
updated: Thursday, December 31, 2015
Construction Management Plan – Effective November 15, 2014
The city recognizes that many households are looking for larger homes. As a result, significant additions and/or tearing down of existing homes and rebuilding larger homes is becoming more common. Because St. Louis Park is a fully built community, these major additions and construction of new homes impacts the surrounding neighbors.
Effective November 15, 2014, major additions (second story additions or additions of 500 square feet or more), demolitions and new construction will need to comply with a Construction Management Plan (CMP) per City Code 6-71.
Major additions, tear downs and new construction will be required to send a written neighborhood notification to neighbors within 200 feet of the property. Demolitions and/or new construction will also require a neighborhood meeting and signage.
The purpose of the CMP is to provide neighbors with information about what is happening at the property and contact information on who to call if they have concerns during construction. View the CMP Packet here or on the Permit Forms page.
Home Energy Squad Enhanced
A residential energy saving program designed to help residents save money and energy and stay comfortable in their homes.
Home Energy Squad Enhanced Visit - $50
A team of trusted energy consultants will come to your home, evaluate your energy saving opportunities, and install the energy-efficiency materials of your choice:
- Door weather stripping
- A water heater blanket
- Programmable thermostat
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs
- High efficiency shower heads
- Faucet aerators
They will also:
- Perform a blower door test to measure your home for air leaks.
- Complete an insulation inspection.
- Safety check your home's heating system and water heater.
- Help with next steps.
Help find contractors that perform high quality work and test the results.
Who is eligible?
All single family and duplex homeowners. Renters qualify for the installed visit ($30), without diagnostic tests.
The Home Energy Squad Enhanced visit qualifies you for CEE's low interest financing and utility rebates.
To schedule your visit:
SIGN UP ONLINE AT: mncee.org/hes-slp OR call (612) 335-5874
This program is a partnership of the City of St. Louis Park, CEE, CenterPoint Energy and Xcel Energy.
updated: Wednesday, January 27, 2016
A number of low interest loans are available for home remodeling and rehabilitation thanks to the City of St. Louis Park's partnership with state agencies and local lenders. For more information about any of the programs listed here, call the Community Development office at (952) 924-2196 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Interest rates and income...
updated: Friday, November 20, 2015
The city matches 50 percent of the utility rebates for energy efficient furnaces, water heaters and air conditioners, in addition to air sealing and insulation. Simply mail a copy of the utility rebate you received within one year of the rebate check date to: City of St. Louis Park, Community Development Department, 5005 Minnetonka Blvd., St. Louis...
updated: Tuesday, January 26, 2016
Emergency Repair Program
- Grants of up to $4,000
- Immediate emergency repairs such as furnace replacement, roof repair, etc.
- Houshold income of 50 percent of area median income (2014 Income Limits based on household size: Family of 1 $29,050, family of 2 $33,200, family of 3 $37,350, family of 4 $41,150, for larger families contact Bill O'Meara for income limits)
- Administered by CAPSH for the City of st. Louis Park
- Contact Bill O'Meara at (952) 697-1310
Deferred Loan Program
- Maximum loan amount of $30,000 depending on fund availability
- 0 percent interest loan
- Covers basic safety, maintenance, improvements
- Loan deferred until the sale of the home, or after 15 years the loan is forgiven
- Household income limits apply.
- Administered by Hennepin County
- Contact Hennepin County Housing Rehabilitation Staff at (612) 348-9260
First-time Homebuyer Low-Interest Mortgages
- 30-year mortgage rate approximately 1 percent below market rate
- Household income limits apply; limit increases with household size
- Details at www.mnhousing.gov or contact (651) 296-8215
updated: Tuesday, December 01, 2015
To promote high quality home remodeling, the City of St. Louis Park partners with the Center for Energy and Environment (CEE) to make the services of a remodeling advisor available to St. Louis Park homeowners. CEE is an independent, nonprofit organization that works to promote public interest through the responsible and efficient use of natural and...
updated: Monday, December 14, 2015
Townhome and condominium associations that need help financing improvements to common areas, can petition the City of St. Louis Park to create a Housing Improvement Area (HIA). The association must show that it is unable to obtain a loan through conventional sources. The HIA enables the city to provide a low interest loan that is repaid over...