Avoid water damage to your home this spring
Post Date:March 14, 2019 9:00 a.m.
Spring is on its way, which means lots of snow melt and rain. Be sure your home is protected from water damage with these tips:
- Clear nearby storm drains – This will allow melting snow and rainwater to drain properly on your street. If you find a blocked drain you can’t clear, call the city at 952.924.2562 to report the location so city crews can help.
- Remove snow and ice dams from roof – Remove as much snow as possible from your roof. Clear away ice dams, being careful not to damage gutters and roof edges. Call a professional to remove especially stubborn ice dams.
- Remove snow from around your home’s foundation – Be mindful not to deposit the snow on neighboring properties.
- Check your sump pump – If it’s not working, call a plumber to fix or replace it. Make sure the pump’s outside discharge pipe opening is clear so water can drain. Consider adding a battery backup so the sump pump will work during an electrical outage.
- Check your gutters – Point gutter downspouts away from your home’s foundation but not toward neighboring properties. Make sure they are clear of ice and debris so water can flow easily through them.
- Review your homeowner’s insurance – Review your policy with your agent to ensure you understand your coverage. Consider buying flood insurance, which is available to anyone but must be purchased 30 days in advance of any claim.