Tenant or Use Change

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

If you intend to change the tenant or use of a commercial or industrial property, you must notify the City of St. Louis Park to ensure that the new use complies with zoning regulations. This requirement applies whether the usage change applies to one tenant (i.e. office space to physician's practice) or the entire building (i.e. retail to restaurant).

Step one

Building owner or tenant completes a Certificate of Occupancy/Land Use Registration Application.

Step two

City staff review the proposed building use change and determine whether any further requirements must be met.

Step three

If the proposed use does not change the State Building Code occupancy classification and complies with the city zoning ordinance, a Registration of Land Use is issued when the $50 fee is paid.


If the proposed use changes the building's State Building Code occupancy classification, a new Certificate of Occupancy is required.

Area (Square Feet) Cost
Up to 5,000 sq. ft. $450
5,001 - 25,000 sq. ft. $750
25,001 - 75,000 sq. ft. $1,000   
75,001 sq. ft. - 100,000 sq. ft. $1,400
100,001 - 200,000 sq. ft. $1,700
200,001 sq. ft. and greater $2,200
  • If no remodeling is planned to accommodate the new use, city staff will inspect the property for compliance with current state building code requirements for the proposed use. If corrections are needed, plans and permits may be required. Once work is completed and the building is in compliance, a Certificate of Occupancy is issued.

  • If remodeling is planned to accommodate the new use, a building permit will also be required. (Only a building permit fee is charged; there is no additional charge for the Certificate of Occupancy.) City staff will review architectural drawings to ensure plans conform to city and state codes. As construction is completed, inspectors will verify that work complies with applicable codes. Once all remodeling is completed and has passed inspection, a Certificate of Occupancy is issued.


For more information, call the Inspections Department at 952.924.2588.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer