Below, you will find links to information about development activity within the City of St. Louis Park and a development location map. If you have further questions, please call the Community Development Department at 952.924.2575.
- Communication Tower (8300 Franklin Avenue)
- Carpenter Park Stormwater and Skate Park Project (5005 Minnetonka Blvd.)
- Excelsior & Monterey (4400, 4424 Excelsior Blvd, 3743 Monterey Drive)
- Former McGarvey Coffee Property/PLACE (5725 Hwy 7)
- Meadowbrook Golf Course Restoration Project
- The Elmwood (5605 W. 36th Street)
- Arlington Row Apartments Amendment (7905 & 7705 Wayzata Blvd)
- 10 West End (1601 Utica Ave S)
- 4900 Excelsior Blvd (4760, 4900 Excelsior Blvd)
- 8001 Highway 7 rezoning
- AC Hotel by Marriott (5075 Wayzata Blvd)
- Arlington Row-East (7700 Block Wayzata Blvd & 13th Ln)
- Arlington Row-West (Wayzata Blvd & Texas Ave SW corner)
- The Bridgewater Comprehensive Plan Amendment (4400, 4424 Excelsior Blvd, 3743 Monterey Drive)
- Central Park West (1511 Utica Ave S)
- Communication Tower (2501 State Highway 100)
- Elmwood West Subdivision (9301 Franklin Ave S)
- Floodplain District Ordinance and Map
- Japs-Olson (7400, 7500 Excelsior Blvd)
- Lincoln Dealership *changed from KIA Dealership (6475, 6501 Wayzata Blvd)
- Marriott Minneapolis West Hotel (9960 Wayzata Blvd)
- Meadowbrook Manor Clubhouse (6922-6932 Meadowbrook Blvd)
- Methodist Hospital Expansion (6500 Excelsior Blvd)
- Methodist Hospital Flood Wall (6500 Excelsior Blvd)
- Minnota Addition (4903 Cedar Lake Rd)
- Millennium at West End Apartments (5245 Wayzata Blvd)
- Mister Car Wash (8700 State Highway 7
- New Horizons Day Care (2460 State Highway 100)
- Oak Hill II Office Building (3340 Republic Ave S)
- Parkway 25 (Redevelopment of Vescio's & Valu Stay Inn)
- The Rec Center - Outdoor Ice Rink (3700 Monterey Drive)
- The Shoppes at Knollwood (8332 Hwy 7)
- Sherwin Williams Paint Store (4911 Excelsior Blvd)
- The Shoreham (3000, 3915 CSAH 25; 3907, 3914, 3916 31st St W; 3031 Glenhurst Av S)
- Siena Apartment Homes (Formerly Eliot Park) (6800 Cedar Lake Rd)
- Super America Express gas station (6405 Minnetonka Blvd)
- The West End (1600 West End Blvd)
- Westside Center Phase III CUP & Izzie Addition (5320 West 23rd Street)
- Westside Center - Phase II Lyman Lumber Expansion (5320 W 23rd St)
- Westside Center - Phase I (former Nestle Building) (5320 W 23rd St)
- West End Center Renovation (5011 Gamble Drive)
- Wooddale Flats (3996 Wooddale Ave S)
updated: Monday, November 21, 2016
Description: The Excelsior Group and Ryan Companies received city council approval to construct an 11-story, 335,710 square foot Class A office building within the West End area. The development is Phase IV of the Central Park West overall PUD and is located on the border of St. Louis Park and Golden Valley. The office tower will be located...
updated: Thursday, January 12, 2017
Description: 4800Excelsior will be a six-story, mixed-use building. It includes 164 apartments and Fresh Thyme grocery and liquor stores occupying 28,228 square feet of the ground floor, and three levels of structured parking. The $48 million development will result in the creation of over 85 new jobs and will include 18 apartment units that will be...
updated: Wednesday, December 21, 2016
Description: A 126-room AC Hotel by Marriott that is six stories (84 ft.) tall is proposed in the Southwest quadrant of Highways 100 and 394. The property is located east of Utica Avenue on Wayzata Boulevard. The site is part of the overall West End and Central Park West redevelopments. The site also is on the border of St. Louis Park and Golden...
updated: Wednesday, November 23, 2016
Description: This past year Melrose Company received approvals from the city for two building projects: Arlington Row East & West. Arlington Row West (located on the southwest corner of Wayzata Boulevard and Texas Avenue) will have two, 3-story buildings with 17-units each, for a total of 34 units. Arlington Row East (located on Wayzata Boulevard...
updated: Monday, September 12, 2016
Description: The City of St. Louis Park received applications for Preliminary and Final Plat and Preliminary and Final Planned Unit Development to develop an apartment building on the vacant parcel located between Wayzata Boulevard and 13th Lane. The proposed building is three stories tall and would have 27 dwelling units. The proposed site plan...
Location: 4400 and 4424 Excelsior Boulevard
Description: Dominium Development and Bridgewater Bank applied for a Comprehensive Plan Amendment for a joint redevelopment at the NE corner of Excelsior Blvd and Monterey Drive. Preliminary plans depict a six-story building with approximately 170 residential units and 17,000 sf of commercial space – the majority of which will be occupied by a new branch of Bridgewater Bank.
A neighborhood meeting regarding the proposal was held April 21, 2015, at the Bridgewater Bank Office located at 4400 Excelsior Blvd.
The Planning Commission recommended approval of the Comprehensive Plan Amendment at a public hearing May 6, 2015. The City Council approved the Comprehensive Plan amendment on June 1, 2015. The development will also require a Plat and Planned Unit Development.
See also: Excelsior & Monterey link under Proposed Development for information on current applications.
Additional Traffic Review
As a part of the discussion for this development at the June 1, 2015 meeting, questions were raised regarding traffic growth in the corridor. City Council asked staff to complete additional traffic analysis for the Park Commons Drive/Monterey Drive intersection and to review traffic on 36 ½ Street. In response to these requests, additional traffic review was completed.
Corridor Traffic Growth Analysis
In 2001 a comprehensive corridor traffic study was completed in anticipation of redevelopment in the corridor. This study projected what traffic growth would be through year 2015 and provided recommended road and intersection improvements to accommodate the new traffic. To check in with the assumptions for growth in the study the City hired a consultant to perform an audit of the assumptions in this study. Below is the original study as well as the audit report. In general, the traffic in the Excelsior Boulevard corridor has not increased at the rate anticipated in the Excelsior Boulevard Traffic Study (2001). While there are some localized intersection traffic delays, overall, there is capacity in the corridor for redevelopment.
Excelsior Boulevard Traffic Study (2001)
Developer: Dominium Development and Bridgewater Bank
updated: Friday, December 23, 2016
The City of St. Louis Park Engineering Department has submitted a conditional use permit application to remove 6,000 cubic yards of soil from Carpenter Park to install an underground stormwater detention system in the park's southwest corner. A conditional use permit is required because the construction requires more than 400 cubic yards of...
updated: Tuesday, December 06, 2016
Description: The City of St. Louis Park is requesting a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) to construct a 70 foot tall communication tower located at the "Brick House" which is located on the east side of the Westwood Hills Nature Center. The proposed communication tower consists of a single pole that looks similar to a typical light pole with...
updated: Tuesday, December 27, 2016
In order to comply with federal requirements and maintain the community’s eligibility to participate in the National Flood Insurance Program, the City of St. Louis Park amended its Floodplain Ordinance District Regulations and Floodplain zoning district boundaries to match the new Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Insurance...
Location: 7500 Excelsior Blvd.
Description: Japs-Olson is expanding its industrial facility at the northwest quadrant of Excelsior Boulevard and Meadowbrook Road. The major commercial printer and direct mail company plans to add 192,000 sf of production and warehouse space to its existing 513,000 sf building which is expected to result in approximately 150 new jobs.
Since the proposed expansion site bisects property located in St. Louis Park and Hopkins the two cities completed a municipal boundary adjustment to facilitate the project. The City Council approved plans for construction of an off-site parking lot across the street at 7400 Excelsior Blvd which was completed in 2015.
To facilitate the improvements, the applicant submitted applications for a Comprehensive Plan Amendment to guide the future use of the lands added to St. Louis Park as Industrial and amend the Zoning Map to zone the same property Industrial Park (IP), a Plat to combine the parcels into one lot, and a Conditional Use Permit associated with the building addition.
The City Council approved the plans in early 2016. Construction commenced in spring 2016.
Developer: Japs-Olson Company
Staff Reports: More project details and the meeting minutes are available for review at the links below.
- Staff Presentation Slides from February 1, 2016 (includes color architectural renderings of the building)
- City Council meeting agenda and staff report from February 1, 2016 (see item 8a on pages 150-193 of the PDF)
- City Council meeting minutes February 1, 2016
Description: The City of St. Louis Park received an application for a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) to construct a second hotel at this location. The hotel is proposed to be located on the north side of the existing hotel. It is proposed to be six stories with 142 rooms. The two hotels will have a pedestrian connection allowing customers to have...
updated: Thursday, January 05, 2017
Description: The city approved a conditional use permit application on August 15, 2016 for Sambetek, Inc. on behalf of Meadowbrook Manor Apartments, LLC. to construct a 11,484 square foot clubhouse, swimming pool, and ten surface parking spaces in place of the existing 2,585 square foot apartment building located at 6922-6932 Meadowbrook Blvd. The...
updated: Friday, December 16, 2016
Construction of the flood wall would take place in the floodplain and floodway of Minnehaha Creek. Construction of the flood wall will result in 1,175 cubic yards of impact in the floodplain. To offset the impact to the floodplain, the project proposes to excavate materials in the wetland to add compensating storage of 1,815 cubic yards. The disturbed...
Location: 8700 State Highway 7
Description: An application was submitted to expand the Mr. Carwash by adding a pre-wash station on the west side of the building. The expansion will extend into the FEMA 1% flood zone, and therefore requires a Conditional Use Permit.
Public Meetings: The following meetings are scheduled. Please check back here for updates as the applications proceed through the process.
- The Planning Commission held a public hearing on February 17, 2016 and recommended approval of the applications.
- The City Council approved the application on March 21, 2016.
Applicant: Sheldon Berg/Tim Vaughn
Staff Contact: Assistant Zoning Administrator Gary Morrison, 952.924.2592, email@example.com
Description: Sela Group, the owner of the Vescio Cucina and Valu Stay Inn properties at 4001 County Road 25 and 4025 Highway 7 received city council approval to combine the two sites into one and redevelop the property. Sela plan to demolish the existing buildings and redevelop the properties with a five-story, mixed-use building. The proposed development...
updated: Monday, November 14, 2016
(November 2016) Refrigerated outdoor ice at the ROC will open in early December 2016 for hockey, ice skating and other winter activities. However, due to a delay in fabrication of the specialized steel that structurally supports the roof, the fabric roof won't be in place when the facility opens in early December. Lack of a roof will not affect...
Location: Super America located at 6405 Minnetonka Blvd.
Description: The City of St. Louis Park received an application for a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) to operate a Super America Express gas station at this location. The applicant is proposing to use the property and building as is, with some modifications to landscaping.
- An informational neighborhood meeting was held on Thursday, April 14 from 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.
- The Planning Commission held a public hearing on May 4, 2016, and recommended approval of the request with conditions.
- The City Council approved the application on June 6, 2016.
Staff Contact: Assistant Zoning Administrator Gary Morrison, 952.924.2592, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Update: Construction is underway. It is anticipated to open in December, 2016.
Applicant: Yousef Abumayaleh
updated: Monday, January 09, 2017
Description: 36th Street LLC, the owner of the 36th Street Business Center/American Legion at 5606 W. 36th Street, is requesting preliminary and final plat approval, a preliminary and final Planned Unit Development, and an alley vacation for The Elmwood. The applicant is proposing a 6 story, 85 unit mixed-use development marketed toward residents...
updated: Friday, December 16, 2016
Description: Excelsior has received approval from city council for a minor amendment to a special permit in place for the Parkdale Center building located at 5100 Gamble Drive. The building is part of the Parkdales business park and contains Healthpartners as its largest tenant. The minor amendment will allow Excelsior Group to renovate the building...