Exercise your right to vote!
The City Clerk administers city, state and federal elections. Staff in the city clerk's office is available to answer your questions about elections including candidate filing, voter registration and absentee voting. The city clerk's office is open Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
2017 city elections
- Four municipal offices will be on the ballot and open for filing: Council member wards 1, 2, 3 & 4
- Candidate filing for city offices opens on May 16, 2017 and closes on May 30, 2017 at 5 p.m.
- Candidates may withdraw until June 1 at 5 p.m. (remove their name from the ballot)
- Candidates must reside within the ward they seek nomination (Council Ward Map)
- A Primary Election will be held on August 8 IF three or more candidates file for the same office
- School Board offices for ISD #283 will also be on the ballot (General Election only)
- There will be no federal, state or county offices on the ballot in 2017
Who Has Filed for Municipal Office?
The following individuals have submitted the required materials to appear on the 2017 municipal election ballot:
Councilmember, Ward 1
- Steve Kaplan
- Margaret Rog
- Brian Shekleton
- Zaylore Stout
Councilmember, Ward 2
- Anne Mavity
- Noelle Racette
Councilmember, Ward 3
- Jim Leuthner
Councilmember, Ward 4
- Tim Brausen
The candidate filing period closes on May 30, 2017 at 5 p.m.
Additional information regarding candidate filings, including candidate contact information, can be found on the Minnesota Secretary of State's website.
Important election dates:
|May 16||Municipal candidate filing opens|
|May 30||Municipal candidate filing closes at 5 p.m .|
|June 1||Deadline for candidate to withdraw (by 5 p.m.)|
|June 23||Absentee voting opens, if there is a Primary|
|August 5||Absentee voting available at city hall 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.|
|August 7||Absentee voting closes at 5 p.m., if there is a Primary|
|August 8||Primary Election, if necessary (7 a.m. - 8 p.m.)|
|Aug. 10 or 11||City Council special meeting to canvass election results|
|September 22||First day of absentee voting for General Election|
|November 4||Absentee voting available at city hall 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.|
|November 6||Absentee voting closes at 5 p.m.|
|November 7||Election Day (7 a.m. - 8 p.m.)|