St. Louis Park voters elect the mayor and six city council members (two at-large and four ward) to four-year terms. The mayor and at-large council members represent all residents; the ward council members are primarily responsible for representing the people in their ward.
During public meetings, these civic leaders make decisions about policies and programs. They determine what the community can afford and judge what is best for the community's well-being.
City council meetings are shown live on ParkTV, channel 17 on the first and third Mondays of each month. They may also be replayed via web streaming.
On May 21, 2018, the St. Louis Park City Council adopted the following strategic priorities:
- St. Louis Park is committed to being a leader in racial equity and inclusion in order to create a more just and inclusive community for all.
- St. Louis Park is committed to continue to lead in environmental stewardship.
- St. Louis Park is committed to providing a broad range of housing and neighborhood oriented development.
- St. Louis Park is committed to providing a variety of options for people to make their way around the city comfortably, safely and reliably.
- St. Louis Park is committed to creating opportunities to build social capital through community engagement.