The city received an application from St. Louis Park Public Schools for expansion and renovations at St. Louis Park Middle School. The school district has applied for a conditional use permit (CUP) and variance in order to construct a new performing arts center and administration addition, along with renovations to the cafeteria, kitchen, media center and science classrooms.
Conditional use permits are required for educational institutions in the R-1 zoning district, where the middle school is located. A variance is needed in order to increase the allowed building height in the district from 30 feet to 41 feet in order to meet specific performance needs at the middle school.
- The additional height at the performing arts center is required in order to meet the technical needs of the space, including overhead space in the fly loft, clear space for catwalks and lighting, and acoustic performance.
- The additional height at the media center is necessary to bring daylight into an internally located space.
- Nov. 5, 2018 — City council voted to approve the conditional use permit and variance application.
- Oct. 3, 2018 — Planning commission held a public hearing and recommended approval of the applications.
- Sept. 13, 2018 — School district representatives held a neighborhood meeting at the middle school.