Construction began in fall 2019 and is currently underway. More information can be found at www.texa-tonka.com
The 51,500-square-foot shopping center was constructed in 1951 with approximately 180 parking spaces, and has operated as a successful retail center.
In 2018 the city approved applications for the site, including:
- A variance to reduce the required parking from 250 spaces to 160 spaces.
- A variance to reduce the required separation for restaurants selling intoxicating liquor from residential properties. The applicant is requested a variance of 88 feet, reducing the requirement from 100 feet to 12 feet.
- An easement vacation to vacate an unused 10-foot utility easement that runs through the site.
- Nov. 15, 2018 — Neighborhood meeting was held at Aquila Elementary School to learn about the proposed reinvestment in the Texa-Tonka Shopping Center.
- Nov. 27, 2018 — The board of zoning appeals approved the two variance applications.
- Dec. 3, 2018 — Public hearing and first reading of an ordinance to vacate the utility easement was held by city council at their regularly scheduled council meeting.
- Dec. 17, 2018 — Second reading of an ordinance to vacate the utility easement was held by city council at their regularly scheduled council meeting. City council approved the utility easement vacation.