Latest construction update
Construction of the project is currently underway. March 27, 2020 construction activities include:
- Exterior masonry work is in progress and will continue for 6 to 8 weeks
- First floor metal stud framing is in progress
- Drywall is occurring on the 5th floor
- Site work is anticipated to begin again in May
Visit www.elmwoodliving.com for more information on how to apply to live at The Elmwood.
36th Street LLC, the owner of the 36th Street Business Center/American Legion at 5605 W. 36th St., received approval for The Elmwood, a five-story, 70-unit, mixed-use development in October 2017. The approved development is located on a 0.99-acre parcel at the southeast corner of Xenwood Avenue and 36th Street West. The Elmwood consists of 53 market rate apartments with 17 affordable units at 60 percent area median income, and approximately 4,400 square feet of leasable office/commercial space. The development includes on-street, surface and underground parking, as well as outdoor amenity space.
Major amendment approval
- The planning commission held a public hearing to gather comments and review the request for a major amendment to the development to reduce The Elmwood from six stories to five stories and from 85 units to 70 units. The commission voted 3 to 1 to recommend approval of the major amendment.
- City council approved the major planned unit development amendment ordinance on Oct. 2, 2017.
The building was originally approved as a six-story, mixed-use building with 85 dwelling units in March 2017. Due to high construction costs, the applicant requested a major amendment to reduce the size of the development.