Latest construction updates
Soil remediation and construction on Via Sol started the week of December 31, 2018.
PLACE, a non-profit developer, has approvals to construct a mixed-use, mixed-income, creative community near the intersection of 36th Street West and Wooddale Avenue, on both sides of the future Southwest Light Rail Transit Wooddale Station. Via includes 299 dwelling units, 110-room hotel, coffee shop, café, bike shop, makers space, a co-working space, e-generation and greenhouse and approximately one acre of urban forest.
Via incorporates a mix of renewable energy sources, including an anaerobic digester, wind turbines and solar panels, which will provide 90 percent of the heat and power for the development. The entire development is designed to achieve Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification.
Via also includes a mobility plan to lessen the traffic impact in the area, including car-free living, car and bike share, multiple onsite live/work opportunities, transit passes and a local shuttle.
The St. Louis Park Economic Development Authority (EDA) purchased the former McGarvey Coffee site in 2015 and owns the vacant property to the west. The EDA intends to sell the property to PLACE prior to construction.
Via Sol (North)
- Residential/commercial building: five stories, 218 dwelling units including eight live/work units, retail bike shop and repair
- E-generation/co-generation/greenhouse facility: one story, anaerobic digester and balancing equipment, co-generation, vertical greenhouse for urban agriculture
- Urban forest: one acre urban retreat parallel to the Cedar Lake Light Rail Transit Regional Trail
- Parking: 220 spaces, including underground, surface and on-street; five car-share spaces
Via Luna (South)
- Residential/commercial building: six stories, 81 live/work dwelling units including five live/work Type II (which include 250 square feet micro storefronts), café, coffee house, maker/co-working space, shared office space for creatives and startups
- Hotel: six stories, 110 rooms
- Parking: 225 spaces, including underground, structured and surface; five car-share spaces
Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
View the PLACE Environmental Assessment Worksheet. The comment period for the EAW was March 6 – April 19, 2017.
City council adopted Resolution No. 17-079, approving the findings of fact, record of decision and negative declaration regarding the need for an environmental impact statement on May 1, 2017. Included in Exhibit A to the resolution are addenda of all written comments the city received regarding the EAW and responses to the comments.
- May 1, 2017 — City council adopted the preliminary and final plat and preliminary and final PUD.
- April 17, 2017 — City council approved the comprehensive plan amendment, guiding the properties as mixed-use.
- March 15, 2017 — Planning commission held a public hearing and recommended approval of the comprehensive plan amendment, preliminary and final plat, and the preliminary and final PUD.
- Feb. 23, 2017 — PLACE held their eighth neighborhood meeting.
Resources and documents
- Development plans
- Traffic study
- Parking study
- PLACE sustainability measures, materials, mobility plan, and parking reductions
- Solar shading study
- May 1, 2017 — Economic development authority meeting
- May 1, 2017 — City council meeting
- April 17, 2017 — Economic development authority meeting
- April 17, 2017 — City council meeting
- April 3, 2017 — City council special study session
- April 3, 2017 — Economic development authority meeting
- April 3, 2017 — City council meeting
- March 20, 2017 — Economic development authority meeting
- March 20, 2017 — City council meeting
- March 15, 2017 — Planning commission meeting
- March 13, 2017 — City council study session
- Feb. 13, 2017 — City council study session
- Dec. 19, 2016 — City council meeting
- Nov. 14, 2016 — City council study session
- Oct. 10, 2016 — City council study session
- June 20, 2016 — City council meeting
- May 9, 2016 — City council study session
- Feb. 16, 2016 — Economic development authority meeting
- May 18, 2015 — Economic development authority meeting
- Nov. 3, 2014 — City council special study session
- Sept. 22, 2014 — City council study session
- Nov. 25, 2013 — City council study session