The temple has altered its plans to construct the parking lot in three phases.
The first phase (1a) will be the construction of a new parking lot in the front yard along Highway 100, patching the existing parking lot, constructing the privacy fence along the north property line, construction of the sidewalk along Vernon Ave S, and installing landscaping in the vicinity of the new parking lot. This phase will commence immediately in the spring of 2019.
Phase 1b will be a replacement of most of the existing parking lot, installation of the storm water system and additional landscaping. It is anticipated that this phase will occur within three years, but it is funding dependent.
Phase 1c will expand the parking lot to the west into the hill. This phase will involve removal of most of the trees on the hill, retaining walls, and additional landscaping. This phase will occur a few years after the conclusion of phase 2, again funding dependent.
As a result of this phased approach, most of the trees on the west half of the lot will remain until phase two and three. A copy of the phase 1a plans can be viewed by clicking on the link below under "Resources and documents".
The Wat Prom Buddhist Temple submitted a conditional use permit (CUP) application to operate a buddhist temple, expand the existing parking lot and document a concept plan as to how the temple could expand through future phases.
- Phase one — Construction of a 204-vehicle parking lot.
- Phase two — Construction of the service hall within 10 years
- Phase three — Removal of the existing convention hall building and construction of a meditation hall within 20 years
- Sept. 17, 2018 — City council approved the proposal on September 17, 2018
- Aug. 15, 2018 — Public hearing was conducted by the planning commission
- Aug. 9, 2018 — Neighborhood meeting was conducted at the Wat Prom Temple