Connect the Park is the city's 10-year Capital Investment Program (CIP) to add sidewalks, trails and bikeways throughout the community. 2019 will be the fifth year of sidewalk and trail construction and the fourth year of installing bikeway in the community.
Dakota Park bridge and bikeway
Latest updates (5/3/19)
The city held public hearing for the project on April 15, 2019 at 7:30 p.m. You can view the staff report in the "Resources" section.
The city council will make a decision on the project at the regular council meeting on May 6, 2019 at 7:30 p.m.
If you cannot attend, but would still like to address the council, please provide your comments in a letter or email to Ben Manibog. Comments, whether by letter or email, will be included in the final report to city council prior to their vote as long as they are received by April 30 at 4:30 p.m.
Beginning summer 2019, north-south pedestrian and bike connections to the east side of the city will be available. The project area includes Edgewood Avenue from Cedar Lake Road to the railroad tracks, and Dakota Avenue from the railroad tracks to Lake Street. The project will include:
- A pedestrian and bicycle bridge over the Burlington Northern railroad tracks at Dakota Park
- A bike and pedestrian network study
- Installation of a bicycle facility along the corridor
The proposed improvements will be paid for using city and federal funds; there are no proposed assessments to property owners.
Public meetings (4/17/19)
Open houses were held Sept. 29, 2018, Oct. 30, 2018, and March 19, 2019. The public hearing was held on April 15, 2019.
The council will vote on whether or not to move forward with the project on May 6. If the project is approved, staff will prepare for construction to begin in fall 2019.
- Project initiation notice
- Project area map
- Open house 1 invitation
- Open house 1 presentation - Sept. 26, 2018
- Open house 1 presentation boards - Sept. 26, 2018
- Open house 2 invitation
- Open house 2 presentation - Oct. 30, 3018
- Open house 2 presentation boards - Oct. 30, 3018
- Open house 3 invitation
- Open house 3 presentation - March 19, 2019
- Open house 3 presentation boards - March 19, 2019
- Open house 3 corridor layout - March 19, 2019
- Public hearing invitation - March 18, 2019
- Council study session staff report - (pages 219 - 227) - April 8, 2019
- Public hearing staff report - (pages 136 - 152) - April 15, 2019
- Council decision staff report - (pages 132 - 136) - May 3, 2019