August 12, 2019
The proposed closure of Louisiana Avenue near Oxford Street is for the Southwest Light Rail Transit Project (SWLRT). If you would like to know more about this project, please visit www.swlrt.com.
The construction plans for the Louisiana Avenue Bridge over Minnehaha Creek project are 95 percent complete. This project is expected to begin in early 2020 and be complete by December of 2020. The existing Louisiana Avenue Bridge over Minnehaha Creek will be replaced with a higher bridge to allow pedestrians to cross Louisiana Avenue under the new bridge.
Within the next few years, a second phase of Louisiana Avenue reconstruction is expected, which includes the construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Louisiana Avenue and Oxford Street.
At the March 19, 2018 city council meeting, the council approved a preliminary design for the Louisiana Avenue corridor from the Sam's Club entrance to Excelsior Boulevard. The approved preliminary design allows the consultant to begin preparing final plans. The project improvements will include:
- Cycle track bike facility on Louisiana Avenue
- New bridge over Minnehaha Creek
- Addition of sidewalk from the new bridge to Excelsior Boulevard on the west side of Louisiana Avenue
- Grade separated trail crossing of Louisiana Avenue along Minnehaha Creek
- Upgraded signal system at the intersection with Louisiana Court
- Corridor modeling to determine traffic needs
- Sidewalk upgrades to ensure ADA compliance
- Replacement of existing watermain
A neighborhood meeting was held March 15, 2018. The purpose of the open house was to gather feedback on the project. At this meeting, information was provided about the overall street reconstruction project, preliminary plans for the corridor were reviewed, and participants were able to provide feedback to city staff.