Dec. 3, 2018
The construction plans for the project are 95 percent complete. The initial phase of the reconstruction is from Louisiana Court to Excelsior Boulevard. The existing bridge will be replaced with a higher new bridge to allow a pedestrian underpass to be constructed.
Within the next four years, the second phase of Louisiana Avenue reconstruction is expected, which includes the intersection of Oxford Street and Louisiana Avenue. The final phase of Louisiana Avenue is between Oxford Street and Louisiana Circle and expected to be completed within the next 10 years.
In 2020, the city with be reconstructing the Louisiana Avenue bridge over Minnehaha Creek. At the March 19, 2018 city council meeting, the council approved a preliminary design for the Louisiana Avenue corridor from the Sam's Club entrance to Excelsior Boulevard. The approved preliminary design allows the consultant to begin preparing final plans. The project improvements will include:
- Cycle track bike facility on Louisiana Avenue
- New bridge over Minnehaha Creek
- Addition of sidewalk from the new bridge to Excelsior Boulevard on the west side of Louisiana Avenue
- Grade separated trail crossing of Louisiana Avenue along Minnehaha Creek
- Upgraded signal system at the intersection with Louisiana Court
- Corridor modeling to determine traffic needs
- Sidewalk upgrades to ensure ADA compliance
- Replacement of existing watermain
A neighborhood meeting was held March 15, 2018. The purpose of the open house was to gather feedback on the project. At this meeting, information was provided about the overall street reconstruction project, preliminary plans for the corridor were reviewed, and participants were able to provide feedback to city staff.