March 31, 2020
The construction plans for the Louisiana Avenue Bridge over Minnehaha Creek project have been approved by the city council. This project is expected to begin in late 2020 and be complete by October of 2021. The existing Louisiana Avenue Bridge over Minnehaha Creek will be replaced with a higher bridge to allow pedestrians to cross Louisiana Avenue on a newly constructed trail under the new bridge.
Within the next few years, the second phase of Louisiana Avenue reconstruction is expected, which includes the construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Louisiana Avenue and Oxford Street.
At the Dec. 16, 2019 city council meeting, the council approved the final plans for the Louisiana Avenue Bridge Project from Louisiana Circle to Excelsior Blvd. The project improvements will include:
- Cycle track bike facility on Louisiana Avenue
- New bridge over Minnehaha Creek
- Addition of sidewalk from the new bridge to Excelsior Boulevard on the west side of Louisiana Avenue
- Grade separated trail crossing of Louisiana Avenue along Minnehaha Creek
- Upgraded signal system at the intersection with Louisiana Court
- Corridor modeling to determine traffic needs
- Sidewalk upgrades to ensure ADA compliance
- Replacement of existing watermain