March 30, 2020
Monterey Drive, from Excelsior Boulevard to just north of Park Commons Drive (Monterey Drive Phase 1), has been approved, and construction on this segment is expected to start in early summer and be completed in August 2020.
The Monterey Drive, Beltline Boulevard and 36th Street bikeway improvements are part of the city's Connect the Park plan. Construction will be phased over three years, starting in the summer of 2020.
Monterey Drive Phase 1 (from Excelsior Boulevard to just north of Park Commons Drive)
Rehabilitation will include the following project components:
- add on-street bike facilities to the corridor
- reduction from 4 lanes of traffic to 3 lanes
- restrict the intersection of Park Commons Drive and Monterey Drive to a ¾ access (no left turn to northbound Monterey Drive from eastbound Park Commons Drive)
- improvements to the sanitary sewer forcemain
- rehabilitation of the existing pavement
- removing the “no right on red” restriction at the intersection of eastbound Excelsior Boulevard to eastbound 38th Street
- changes to the intersections at Excelsior Boulevard and Park Commons Drive
- no changes to parking restrictions
Monterey Drive Phase 2 (Park Commons Drive to the intersection of Beltline Boulevard and 36th Street)
Rehabilitation will include adding on-street bike facilities to the corridor, changing the intersection at 36th Street and Beltline Boulevard to a roundabout and lane reductions.
Beltline Boulevard (from 36th Street to Park Glen Road)
Rehabilitation will include adding on-street bike facilities to the corridor, lane reductions, and connecting to the SWLRT project.
36th Street (from Beltline Boulevard to Wooddale Avenue)
Rehabilitation will add bike facilities to the corridor using a combination of on-street and off-street facilities.