Construction Update: June 15, 2017
The intersection of 36th Street and Texas Avenue will be open to through traffic in both directions starting June 26. This is a delay from the originally planned opening date; we apologize for the inconvenience.
Texas Avenue: Minnetonka Boulevard to 33rd Street
- Park Construction will continue to reconstruct water services at select locations, primarily along the east side of Texas Avenue.
- Park Construction will be installing storm sewer at the intersection of 31st Street West and Texas Avenue.
- Park construction is scheduled to remove pavement between 33rd Street and 34th Street the week of June 19.
- Residents should expect limited driveway access for a brief period while Park Construction constructs temporary gravel driveways at each property. Contact Mike Kriesel, the city's construction representative, with questions about accommodating access needs.
- CenterPoint Energy will begin constructing final 24" gas main tie-ins to the existing mains beginning today and anticipates all work and testing to be completed in this area by June 19.
Texas Avenue: 33rd Street to 36th Street
- CenterPoint and its contractor Mn Limited will be testing and anticipates the pipeline in this area to be complete by June 19.
Texas Avenue: 36th Street to Highway 7
- Park Construction will continue installing concrete driveways along the west side of Texas Avenue. Access will be maintained into Cub Foods.
- Park Construction is scheduled to install bituminous pavement in this area the week of June 19.
- Pavement mill / overlay and striping of this area to occur around October of 2017.
- CenterPoint Energy and Minnesota Limited will continue to install gas facilities and perform restoration activities a the intersection of Texas Avenue and 36th Street through June 23.
- The Highway 7 frontage road near Texas Avenue will be closing on Friday June 16 to install the gas main across Highway 7. This work is expected to be complete by the end of the week of June 19.
Texas Avenue and W. 36th Street Intersection closed
CenterPoint Energy closed the intersection of Texas Avenue and W. 36th Street on May 15 for 30 days. Due to the amount of infrastructure which needs to be installed within the intersection, CenterPoint Energy is unable to keep the intersection open to traffic. Please follow the detour signs to find your destination.
A number of Metro Transit buses currently travel through this intersection. To ensure that residents who rely on the buses have reliable bus service, Metro Transit will shift the bus route to Sumter Avenue between Walker Street and W. 37th Street for the duration of this intersection closure.
Buses are traveling on Sumter Avenue between Walker Street and W. 37th Street throughout the closure. Please note: To provide adequate room for buses traveling on Sumter, parking is restricted to one side of the street. Temporary “No Parking” signs have been installed on the west side of Sumter Avenue between Walker Street and W. 37th Street during the intersection closure. Please see the attached map.
If you have questions regarding the work being completed by CenterPoint Energy or the revised bus route, please contact the following representatives:
Hannah Gullickson, Communication Specialist
Kevin Martin, Transit Supervisor
Texas Avenue between Minnetonka Boulevard and W. 36th Street will be closed to through traffic starting Tuesday, April 18. This closure is expected into November 2017.
This closure is required for reconstruction of CenterPoint Energy's 24-inch gas main. Once CenterPoint Energy has completed enough of its work to allow space for the city's contractor, the city will begin reconstruction of Texas Avenue.
Vehicle traffic will be detoured to Louisiana Avenue. The Metro Transit bus route that uses Texas Avenue will be moved to Sumter Avenue for the duration of the closure. Any questions about relocation of bus stops can be directed to Kevin Martin with Metro Transit at 612.418.2735 or email@example.com.
- Sumter Avenue Temporary Metro Transit Bus Route Letter
- Open House #3 Presentation
- 2017 Texas Avenue Reconstruction Project Map
- Texas Avenue Project 10.17.16 Public Hearing Letter
- Texas Avenue Project Layout Concept 1
- Texas Avenue Project Layout Concept 2
- Texas Avenue Project 9.14.16 Meeting Presentation
- Typical Section
- Texas Avenue Project 9.14.16 Public Meeting Letter
- 2017 MSA Street Rehabilitation Map
- Texas Avenue Project 7.20.16 Presentation
- Texas Avenue Project 7.7.16 Open House Letter
- Texas Avenue Project Survey Crew in Area Letter 6.8.16
Joe Shamla, Sr. Engineering Project Manager
Mike Kriesel, Project Coordinator