City facilities closed to the public until April 10. Learn more.

Flood Insurance

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Do I need flood insurance?

Property owners are required to purchase flood insurance for structures located within or touching the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), and if the property is purchased through a mortgage or loan from a federally regulated institution.

If your property is in or near a floodplain, but no structures are located within the SFHA, you may still want to consider purchasing a low-risk flood insurance policy.

National Flood Insurance Program

The City of St. Louis Park participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), making federally backed flood insurance available to property owners. Lenders are prohibited from issuing mortgages for properties in the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), unless the property is covered by flood insurance.

How can I figure out if my property is in a floodplain?

The Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) can help you identify if your property is located within a floodplain. The maps show base flood elevations, flood zones and floodplain boundaries.

What to ask before purchasing a property

When looking at purchasing property, consider asking the following before you purchase:

  • Ask the floodplain manager if the property is located in a floodplain, if it has ever been flooded, and what is the flood depth, velocity and warning time.
  • Ask the city planner what building and zoning regulations are in effect for the property.
  • Ask the real estate agent if the property is located in a floodplain, if it has ever been flooded, and if it is subject to any other hazards, such as sewer backup.
  • Ask the seller and neighbors if the property is located in a floodplain, how long they have lived there, if the property has ever been flooded, and if it is subject to any other hazards.
  • Ask an insurance agent how much flood insurance would cost if the structure is in a SFHA (100-year floodplain).

Who to contact to purchase flood insurance

Your local insurance agent is the most qualified person to answer questions regarding flood insurance. 

FEMA floodplain boundary changes in 2016

If you are a property owner in St. Louis Park, your home or business may be affected by changes to Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) flood hazard maps, which went into effect Nov. 4, 2016. See FEMA FIRM changes for more information.