City facilities closed to the public until April 10. Learn more.

Flood Insurance Rate Maps

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

To identify properties at risk of flooding, FEMA prepares flood insurance studies and Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) where flood risk is designated by zones.

FEMA retains sole authority for designating which properties are included or removed from the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), also known as the 100-year floodplain or Zone AE. Congress requires that FEMA periodically remap floodplains to reflect population growth. The city’s maintains FEMA’s historical FIRMs and the current effective FIRMs. The current effective dates are:

  • Effective FIRM – Nov. 4, 2016
  • Revisions to city code for floodplain management – Aug. 26, 2016

How the maps affect you

A portion of the city is included in the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) on the effective Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM). Some properties that were considered low risk (Zone X or 500-year floodplain) have been categorized as high risk (SFHA). Property owners added into the SFHA may be required to purchase flood insurance by their mortgage lender. All SFHA properties with a federally backed mortgage must carry flood insurance.

Learn more about flood insurance.

Locating your property

You can find your property online through FEMA's online Flood Map Service Center. To find your property, type the address, city and state into the search bar. To view the property’s associated FIRM, click on the "view map" symbol. The maps show base flood elevations, flood zones and floodplain boundaries.

The FEMA FIRMs for St. Louis Park are listed below by location.

St. Louis Park FIRMs
Hennepin County’s online mapping tool

Hennepin County’s online mapping tool also allows property owners to locate floodplain boundaries. It allows you to search by property address, and it shows new floodplain boundaries, high-quality color aerial photos, parcel boundaries and topography. You can also print a map of your property.

How can I change or correct a FIRM?

FEMA has administrative procedures for correcting the effective FIRM based on new or revised scientific or technical data. These changes are implemented with written documents and are not depicted on the FIRM.

If a property owner thinks their property has been inadvertently mapped into the SFHA, you may submit a request to FEMA for a Letter of Map change.

Letter of Map Amendment 

A Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) is an official amendment to the effective FIRM indicating that a property is not located in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA).

  • LOMA can only be issued by FEMA
  • LOMA does not change the official FIRM
Letter of Map Revision

A Letter of Map Revision (LOMR) is an official amendment to the effective FIRM that can modify flood zones, delineations and elevations.

  • LOMR can only be issued by FEMA
  • LOMR does not change the official FIRM