Each year in December, city council adopts the budget for the following year. Click the following links for detailed reports about how your tax dollars are spent.
The budget process for 2020 is underway. See below for more information on how the process works. Documents are posted below as they become available so that residents may follow along as the budget is developed.
- May 13, 2019: 2020 Budget/Maintaining Financial Sustainability
- June 17, 2019: 2020 Budget Discussion
- July 22, 2019: 2020 Budget - public safety overview
- August 12, 2019: 2020 Budget Discussion
- September 3, 2019: 2020 Budget Discussion
Budget and Capital Improvement Program reports
City budget process
The City of St. Louis Park’s budget and capital improvement plan (CIP) are much more than an accounting document — they serve as the foundation for the city’s financial planning. City staff, the mayor and city council, residents, stakeholders and anyone with an active interest in municipal budgeting all play an important role in determining how your tax dollars are used.
The city follows an open, public process to review and adopt its annual budget and welcomes citizen input. Following are key steps in the process:
- Goal-setting and general direction for the budget and CIP starts in the spring.
- Staff budget preparations take place in May and June.
- Budget work sessions with the city council are held from June through December.
- Adoption of preliminary budget and levy occurs in September.
- The city must notify Hennepin County by Sept. 30 of the city’s preliminary tax levy.
- The Truth in Taxation public hearing and budget presentation takes place in early December.
- The deadline to certify the final tax levy to Hennepin County is December 28.
The League of Minnesota Cities produced a short video which explains the local property tax system. Watch the Special delivery: City services and your property taxes video.
For more information about property taxes, see the property taxes page.
If you have any questions about the city’s budget, you may email the city at email@example.com.