The Inspections Department employs 21 full-time staff members, including inspectors with specialties in building and housing codes, as well as service technicians and administrators. The department is responsible for:
- Issuing permits for construction.
- Inspecting new construction and remodeling projects for compliance with building, plumbing, mechanical and electrical system standards in Minnesota State Building Code.
- Inspecting homes and commercial buildings prior to sale to ensure quality of properties in the city.
- Licensing dogs, tobacco sales and mechanical contractors.
- Enforcing sections of the City Code related to nuisances and zoning.
- Inspecting multi-family rental units and one- and two-family non-owner occupied units.
Permits and Licenses