The City of St. Louis Park's zoning ordinance, chapter 36 of the city code, establishes regulations and minimum requirements controlling the location, construction, alteration and use of structures and land within the city.
The ordinance creates use districts, which regulates what activities are permitted in different parts of the city. For example, city council may determine that a heavy industrial zone is not appropriate in a certain location because of its proximity to sensitive environmental features or residential districts. Zoning also creates minimum and maximum standards for yard area (setbacks), architectural materials, height and parking. The purpose of the ordinance is the protection of the health, safety and welfare of the community.
The city's official zoning map shows the different districts and their boundaries. St. Louis Park has 11 zoning districts. The zoning district associated with a property can be found on the map; the standards for each district are located in the zoning ordinance.
The zoning district of a property may be modified by city council. When considering modifications to the official zoning map, city council considers the request of the applicant, recommendations of city staff and the St. Louis Park Planning Commission, and guidance found in the city's comprehensive plan.
- Chapter 36 - Table of contents
- Article I - In general, Purpose, rules, definitions (updated 12/19)
- Article II - Administrative and enforcement, Registration of land use, application process, public hearings
- Article III - General provisions (updated 12/19)
- Article IV - Zoning districts
- Division 1 - Generally (updated 7/19)
- Division 2 - Land use descriptions and characteristics (updated 12/19)
- Division 3 - Parks and open space zoning district
- Division 4 - Residential district regulations (updated 7/19)
- Division 5 - Commercial district regulations (updated 12/19)
- Division 6 - Office district regulations (updated 7/19)
- Division 7 - Business park district regulations (updated 8/17)
- Division 8 - Industrial district regulations (updated 12/19)
- Division 9 - M-X mixed use district (updated 7/19)
- Division 10 - Planned unit development district (updated 12/19)
- Division 11 - Floodplain districts (updated 8/17)
- Division 12 - Travel demand management district
- Article V - Special provisions: Parking, sign regulations, lighting, landscaping, architectural design (updated 12/19)
- Article VI - Nonconformities
The zoning code articles above are updated through ordinance No. 2575-19, adopted on November 18, 2019.
The zoning code is updated biannually. The next update is scheduled to occur in January, 2020.
Recently adopted ordinances not included in the zoning code
To view the content of the ordinances listed above, please visit our Laserfiche Weblink document repository.
Community development department