For permits to purchase a handgun, pick up an application at the St. Louis Park Police Department. Applicants must live in St. Louis Park and provide a photo ID as proof of residency. Permit approval takes about seven to 10 days, and permits are valid for one year. Application forms are also available at the Minnesota Department of Public Safety.
Permits to carry a handgun are issued by all county sheriffs in Minnesota. Hennepin County residents may contact the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office. If you have a valid permit to carry, you do not need to apply for a separate permit to purchase. For more information on permits to carry, visit:
Peddler, transient merchant or solicitor license
All solicitors, peddlers and transient merchants are required to register with the city. A license is not required to canvas for contributions or support of any charitable, religious, civic, educational, philanthropic, social service of welfare organizations.
- Peddler: Someone who goes from place-to-place selling goods or services that are immediately delivered. An example would be someone selling books they have with them.
- Solicitor: Someone who goes from place-to-place obtaining orders for goods or services that will be delivered later; a canvasser. An example would be someone selling magazine subscriptions that will be sent in the mail later.
- Transient merchant: Someone who sells products or services in a fixed location temporarily. An example would be a food vendor temporarily set up in a parking lot.
How to apply
- Complete the peddler/transient merchant/solicitor license application. Refer to the application instructions for more details.
Applications are also available at the St. Louis Park Police Department Monday – Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Bring the completed application and your valid government-issued ID to the police department. Peddlers and transient merchants must also bring the $150 per-person application fee. Cash, check or credit cards are accepted.
- The application fee may be waived for nonprofits. To be eligible, you must submit a tax-exempt document from the Secretary of State, stating your organization is registered as a nonprofit 501(c)3, or for businesses not based in Minnesota, the Certificate of Registration (Business Certificate) from the state where the business was registered.
- Allow adequate time if completing the application in-person.
- Completed applications are accepted Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Each person applying for a license must appear in person with their application and government-issued ID.
- Issuing permits
- Peddlers and transient merchants — Once approved, the police department will contact you to come in and have your photo taken. After your photo is taken, your license card will be issued.
- Solicitors — The license will be issued when the documentation listed above is presented to the police department.
Note: Your license may be immediately suspended or revoked by the city for good cause. Please refer to the City Code for revoked causes, prohibited activities and the notification process.