A snow emergency is not currently in effect.

Register to Vote

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

To be eligible to vote, a person must be 18 or older on the day of the election (the day they vote), a United States citizen, have maintained residence in Minnesota for at least 20 days before the election, and be properly registered.

Have questions about voter registration? Contact the city clerk's office at 952.924.2503 or

When re-registration is needed

You must re-register if:

  • Your name, address or apartment number changes.
  • You have not voted in four years.

Checking registration status

You can check your registration status online through the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State website. It is highly recommended that you do this at least one month prior to when you plan to vote. This will give you time to complete the registration process, if needed. If you need help checking your registration or have questions, contact us at 952.924.2503 or  

Please note: the city clerk's office is only able to provide you with information regarding your own registration status. We cannot answer questions regarding the registration status of other voters.

Registering before Election Day

If you know you are not registered to vote under your current name and/or at your current residential address, you should register to vote before Election Day. This will make your trip to the polls go much faster. State law requires you to register at least 20 days prior to Election Day in order to ensure that you appear on the list of registered voters at your precinct on Election Day. 

In 2019 the cutoff date for pre-registration for the General Election is October 15

You can pre-register at least 20 days before any election by completing an online registration application or by mailing a completed paper registration application to city hall. Be sure to complete all required fields, write legibly, and double check your information. Incomplete or incorrect registration applications will cause your registration to be delayed or will require you to take extra steps to prove your residence when you go to vote. 

If you recently moved or changed your name, you can register to vote when you update your MN-issued ID card or driver's license. Simply ask the representative helping you to make sure your voter registration is updated at the same time. If you live in St. Louis Park, you can quickly and easily update your ID or driver's license at the following locations:  

If you are trying to register after Oct. 15, 2019, please follow the instructions below to register at your polling place on Election Day.

Register on Election Day

Use any of the following proof of residence options to register at your polling place on Election Day.

Option 1: Bring ID with current name and address

The following items are considered acceptable IDs in accordance with Minnesota statutes:

  • Valid Minnesota driver's license (or receipt)

Minnesota learner's permit (or receipt)

  • Minnesota ID card (or receipt)
  • Tribal ID card with your name, address, photo and signature
Option 2: Bring photo ID and a document with current name and address

The ID can be expired, and the document can also be shown electronically on a device such as a smartphone or tablet.

The following are accepted photo IDs:

  • Driver's license, state ID card or learner's permit issued by any state
  • United States Passport
  • United States Military ID card
  • Tribal ID card with name, signature and photo of the voter
  • Minnesota university, college or technical college ID card
  • Minnesota high school ID card

The following are accepted documents:

  • Billing statement or start of service statement for phone, TV or internet service, utilities, banking services, credit card, rent or mortgage (must be due or dated within 30 days of election and must have voter's name and address)
  • Residential lease or rental agreement (must be valid through Election Day)
  • Current student fee statement

Option 3: Registered voter in the precinct who can confirm your name and address

A registered voter from your precinct can go with you to the polling place to sign an oath confirming your address. This is known as 'vouching'. A registered voter can vouch for up to eight people. A person who registers on Election Day and was vouched for cannot subsequently vouch for others.

Option 4: Valid registration in the same precinct

If you were previously registered in the precinct but changed names or moved within the same precinct, you only need to tell the election officials your previous name or address. No additional documentation is needed.

Option 5: Notice of late registration

If you pre-registered to vote less than 20 days before Election Day, you may get a 'Notice of Late Registration' in the mail. Bring this notice with you when you go to vote and use it as your proof of residence to register.

Option 6: Staff person of a residential facility

If you live in a residential facility (nursing home, assisted-living facility, etc.), a staff person can go with you to the polling place to confirm your address. This is known as 'vouching'. A staff person can vouch for all eligible voters living in the facility, there is no limit. The staff person must prove their employment at the facility. There are several ways to do this, including by showing an employee badge.    Learn more about residential facilities.

Registering with special circumstances

College student

College students should register to vote from the address they currently consider home. For many students, this is likely a school address or a parent's house. If you still go back home to visit but no longer consider it your home, you should register to vote where you live at school.

In the military or living abroad

If you are currently serving in the military or are a citizen living abroad temporarily or indefinitely, you can have an absentee ballot sent to you wherever you are. Your ballot application also serves as a voter registration application. You can apply for an absentee ballot online any time during the year. You are encouraged to apply for your ballot as soon as you are able so you have enough time to return it by Election Day.

Criminal records

Having a criminal record does not affect your right to vote in Minnesota unless you are currently serving a felony conviction sentence, including probation, parole or supervised release.

In a nursing home or hospital

If you are temporarily staying in a nursing home or hospital, you may be eligible to have someone pick up and deliver a ballot to you. This is called agent delivery. Registration materials will be provided with your ballot, if necessary. You must apply for an absentee ballot from the city where you maintain residence, not necessarily the city where the nursing home or hospital is located.

In a resident facility

If you live in a residential facility (nursing home, assisted-living facility, etc.) and need to register to vote, a staff person can go with you to the polling place to confirm your address. You can also vote by absentee ballot or agent delivery, and registration materials will be provided with your ballot, if necessary.


If you are homeless, you can register to vote using the location where you sleep as your address. You may need to go to the polling place with someone who can confirm where you are living.

Home in foreclosure

If your home is in foreclosure, you can use it as your voting residence as long as you still live there. If you move from the property and do not intend to return, you can no longer vote from that address.

Moving on or close to Election Day

If you are moving between states near Election Day, you will need to check how many days you need to reside in your new state before you can vote there. To vote in Minnesota, you must live in the state for at least 20 days before Election Day. 

If you are moving within the state near Election Day, you must register to vote from the address you currently consider home. 

Living temporarily in Minnesota

You cannot vote in Minnesota if you are living here temporarily. However, you can still vote in your home state's election with an absentee ballot.

Home was destroyed

If you are displaced by a fire, flood or natural disaster, where you vote depends on whether you intend to return to the home once it is made habitable again.

Fear for personal safety

Your name and address are public when you register to vote. However, if you have safety or privacy concerns, there are ways to register and vote without making your information public.