Remodeling or New Constructionupdated: Monday, August 22, 2016
To help ensure that St. Louis Park's buildings are safe and durable, permits are required for
- All new construction, additions, roofing, siding, door & window replacement/installation, any framing, drywall and insulation
- Any remodeling that changes a building's structure including new or altering of plumbing, mechanical or electrical systems
- Disturbing more than 5,000 sq. ft. or moving more than 50 cubic yards of soil on or off a construction site
- Any construction near a wetland
No permit is needed for painting, wallpapering, replacing gutters or window sashes, carpeting, or floor coverings.
The cost of a permit is based on the type and amount of work to be done. After the work is completed, city inspectors check the work to verify that it meets state and local construction codes. Any work that does not meet code must be redone. Most contractors must be licensed by the state or city before receiving a permit.
For more information on required construction permits
- Click on Construction Permits or
- Call the inspections department at 952.924.2588.
For more information on erosion control permits
- Call the engineering department at 952.924.2562 or
- Visit the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency's website at www.pca.state.mn.us/water/stormwater/index.html