The Citizens' Police Academy is a 10-week course offered every spring and fall that gives citizens an inside look at what it’s like to be a St. Louis Park police officer. Participants are able to learn about the role the police department plays in the community and how they can play a part in maintaining a safe community!
We believe communication and collaboration between the police and our community is essential to preventing crime and keeping people safe. The Citizens' Police Academy is one of the ways we strengthen these partnerships and provide the best possible service to our residents.
2018 Citizens' Police Academy
The 2018 fall Citizens' Police Academy will meet Thursdays for 10 consecutive weeks, Sept. 12 — Nov. 15, from 6 - 9 p.m. Interested participants should complete the Citizens' Police Academy registration form by Aug. 30, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.
Fifteen applicants will be accepted for each class. Potential participants must agree to a basic background check. Dinner is provided.
Who can join?
- Residents of St. Louis Park
- People who work in St. Louis Park
- Members of St. Louis Park commissions or committees
- Students attending school in St. Louis Park
- Must be 18 or older
What topics are covered?
- Department mission, values and philosophy
- Officer testing, hiring and field training
- Police equipment and squad car
- Deadly force laws and requirements
- Shooting range
- K9 officers
- Traffic stop procedures and DUIs
- Major case investigations
- Defensive tactics
- Narcotics investigations
- Emergency communications, dispatch
- SWAT and crisis negotiations
For more information, contact community outreach at 952.924.2661 or email@example.com.