Land Sale: 40th & France
History: A 14.3-acre piece of land at 3940 France Ave. S. (west side of France Avenue at 40th Street) within the cities of St. Louis Park and Edina was owned by the City of Minneapolis. Minneapolis approached St. Louis Park and Edina about purchasing the land, which was not being used by Minneapolis. Edina and St. Louis Park formed a subcommittee of their city council members to meet and coordinate on this issue. Council Mmembers Steve Hallfin, Anne Mavity and Jake Spano represented the City of St. Louis Park.
The City of St. Louis Park held a neighborhood meeting October 14, 2014, to provide information about the property and to collect input from St. Louis Park residents on this issue. This input was be used by the City Council as it considered how to respond to the City of Minneapolis.
Since the neighborhood meeting:
- Edina and St. Louis Park mayors sent a letter to Minneapolis Mayor Hodges informing her that the November 14, 2014, deadline would not work for Edina and St. Louis Park and that by the end of the year, the cities would be in a better position to respond to Minneapolis regarding this property.
- The St. Louis Park City Council received a written summary of public comments received based on the city’s questionnaire as well as a summary of the October 14, 2014, neighborhood meeting.
- The Cities of St. Louis Park and Edina shared the costs of an appraisal of the property.
- The Cities of Edina and St. Louis Park offered $1.074 million to Minneapolis December 19, 2015, to jointly purchase the property and keep it as open space.
- In a letter dated January 26, 2015, the City of Minneapolis responded back to the Cities of Edina and St. Louis Park with a counteroffer.
- In a letter dated May 4, 2015, to the Cities of Edina and St. Louis Park, the City of Minneapolis outlined details of its proposed sale price for the property and specific terms under which the sale would be made.
- The City of St. Louis Park held two closed executive sessions – on March 23, 2015, and on May 18, 2015 - to discuss acquisition of this property.
- In June 2015, the Cities of St. Louis Park and Edina each sent proposed purchase agreements to the City of Minneapolis for its review and approval.
- At its April 18, 2016 regular meeting, the St. Louis Park City Council approved a purchase agreement for the land located at 3940 France Ave. S.
- On June 29, 2016, the cities of Edina and St. Louis Park purchased the properties from City of Minneapolis. There are no immediate plans for changes to the area.
For additional background information, you may review the attached materials:
- Letter from the City of Minneapolis
- Site Location Map
- Presentation Slides from October 14, 2014 Community Meeting
- Council Report: November 24, 2014
- Letter containing purchase offer
Questions? Contact the Community Development Department at 952.924.2575.