Learn about the city's COVID-19 response and resources. Learn more.

Selling Your Home

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

If you are selling a home in St. Louis Park, you must arrange for a housing inspection. The city requires property inspections whenever a property is sold or ownership is transferred to protect the community's overall housing stock and avoid unsafe conditions and major deterioration.

Before you list your property for sale, apply for your property maintenance inspection permit (sometimes called a point of sale permit) and schedule an inspection. The property maintenance certificate must be presented to the buyer and title company at closing.

How to apply for a property maintenance inspection permit

Please note - fillable forms are only supported on the Internet Explorer 10+ browser.

  • Online – using ePermits.
  • Application - property maintenance inspection application. and return it in one of the following ways
  •  Include name and phone number to be contacted for payment.
  • In person – Apply at the city hall second floor inspections desk. Office hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  • Fax – 952.924.2663. Fax is secured; you may add credit card information on the fax cover sheet.
  • Mail – Include a check or a name and phone number to be contacted for credit card payment. Mail to:
    City of St. Louis Park
    Building and Energy Department
    5005 Minnetonka Blvd.
    St. Louis Park, MN 55416

Note: It is recommended that you download and save the application to your computer for your records. The application includes an optional digital signature field. View steps on creating a digital signature.

If you have any questions, please call the building and energy department at 952.924.2588.

Note: If you're selling commercial or industrial property, see the selling property page in our business section. 

Residential inspection

A typical inspection takes about 45 to 60 minutes, and appointments are usually available within one to three days. A city inspector will visit your property to check that the siding, roof, garage and interior comply with the city's property maintenance code. To prepare for a residential inspection, view a  list of common identified property maintenance items that could be corrected prior to the inspection. 

The housing inspection fee includes the initial inspection and any required follow-up inspections. Fees are:

  • Single-family house or townhouse — $235
  • Duplex — $335
  • Condo — $155

What happens next? 

If the inspector finds no code violations, a property maintenance certificate is issued. Certificates issued for single family homes, townhomes and duplexes are good for one year. Certificates for condominiums are valid for two years.

If code violations are found, a correction notice is issued for the needed repairs. In most cases, corrections must meet code requirements that were in place when the building was constructed. If a portion of the home was remodeled, the remodeled section must comply with the building code that was in effect when the remodeling occurred. (Exception: smoke detectors are required in all buildings, no matter when constructed.)

In most cases, the seller makes the code corrections. However, buyers may obtain a temporary property maintenance certificate (TPMC) if they sign an escrow agreement acknowledging the work orders and agreeing to complete all required code work within 90 days from closing. Buyers and sellers must use the city's agreement form and pay a $95 fee. The agreement must be prepared 48 hours prior to closing, and a city representative must sign off on it. All open permits must be closed before the escrow agreement can be approved and issued. In addition, sufficient funds must be put into escrow to cover the cost outlined in the agreement. Contact the building and energy department at 952.924.2588 with any questions regarding the TPMC and escrow agreement.

After repairs have been completed, a housing inspector will return to verify that all work meets code. Once this is done, a property maintenance certificate is issued.

Inspection reports 

The inspection report is public information and can be obtained by contacting the building and energy department at 952.924.2588.