St. Louis Park's snow removal ordinance restricts on-street parking once a snow emergency has been declared. There are some exceptions, but only in select locations where ample off-street parking is limited. In these select locations, on-street parking is allowed before, during and after all snow events. The only time on street parking is not allowed in exempt areas is when city staff posts no parking signs for snow removal.
Note: City ordinance does not allow parking on any city street for more than 48 hours, including winter exemption areas. If your vehicle sits, unmoved, for more than 48 hours it may be ticketed and/or towed.
Winter parking exemption areas
View the winter parking exemptions map to locate the areas that are exempt or call 952.924.2562.
Plowing winter parking exemption areas
As time and conditions allow, staff will clear snow from exempt areas using the following process:
- Day 1 (24 hours in advance): “No parking” signs are posted on one side of the street. Vehicles must be moved to the non-posted side of the street or to another location, such as a neighboring street that has already been plowed.
- Day 2: Snow is plowed to the curb or hauled away from the posted side of the street. The “no parking” signs are moved to the other side of the street for clean up the following day.
- Day 3: Snow is plowed to the curb or hauled away from the posted side of the street. The “no parking” signs are removed, allowing vehicles to park on both sides of the street.
With multiple exempt parking areas throughout the city, not every area can be plowed after each snow event. Frequency and intensity of additional snow events, or maintenance obligations, will determine how soon or often an exempt area is plowed.
Note: Vehicles that ignore the “no parking” signs may be towed by the city so that plows can clear these streets. If your vehicle is towed, call Bobby & Steve's at 952.944.9955 to find out where to pick up your vehicle.
How to avoid being ticketed or towed
Park in alternative areas
During snow removal, vehicles can be:
- Moved to nearby city streets that have already been plowed.
- Parked on the side of the street without “no parking” signs.
- Parked in a friend’s or neighbor’s driveway, if arrangements are made.
Stay informed of snow emergencies
- Sign up for ParkAlert, the city’s citizen notification system.
- Download the mystlouispark app for Apple and Android devices.
- Follow the city’s social media sites on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Nextdoor.
- Sign up for email and text notifications through GovDelivery.
- Call the winter parking hotline at 952.924.2180.
- Watch ParkTV or the local television news stations (Channel 4, 5, 9, 11).
St. Louis Park Public Works Division