St. Louis Park, Minnesota Logo


printer friendly versionContact by Phone 952.924.2500

Occupancy Comm. Buildings


Changing Tenants or Building Use

updated: Tuesday, May 16, 2017

If you intend to change the tenant or use of a commercial or industrial property, you must notify the City of St. Louis Park to ensure that the new use complies with City Zoning regulations. This requirement applies whether the usage change applies to one tenant (i.e., office space to physician's practice) or the entire building (i.e. retail to restaurant).

Step One -
Building owner or tenant completes a Certificate of Occupancy/Registration of Land Use form.
Certificate of Occupancy and Land Use Registration Application

Step Two -
City staff review the proposed building use change and determine whether any further requirements must be met.

Step Three -
If the proposed use does not change the State Building Code occupancy classification and complies with the City zoning ordinance, a Registration of Land Use is issued when the $50 fee is paid.
If the proposed use changes the building's State Building Code occupancy classification, a new Certificate of Occupancy is required.

Area (Square Feet)   Cost  
Up to 5,000 sq. ft.   $450  
5,001 to 25,000 sq. ft.   $750  
25,001 - 75,000 sq. ft.   $1,000  
75,001 - 100,000 sq. ft.   $1,400  
100,001 sq. ft. & 200,00 sq. ft.   $1,700  
Above 200,000 sq. ft.   $2,200  
  • If no remodeling is planned to accommodate the new use, City staff will inspect the property for compliance with current State building code requirements for the proposed use. If corrections are needed, plans and permits may be required. Once work is completed and the building is in compliance, a Certificate of Occupancy is issued.
  • If remodeling is planned to accommodate the new use, a building permit will also be required. (Only a building permit fee is charged; there is no additional charge for the Certificate of Occupancy.) City staff will review architectural drawings to ensure plans conform to City and State codes. As construction is completed, inspectors will verify that work complies with applicable codes. Once all remodeling is completed and has passed inspection, a Certificate of Occupancy is issued.

For more information, call the Inspections Department at (952) 924-2588

More Links

St. Louis Park City Hall
5005 Minnetonka Blvd.
St. Louis Park, MN 55416
Phone: 952.924.2500 Email: