Recycling is collected every other week on your regular collection day. Find your collection day and use the 2020 recycling calendar to find your collection week. There is no additional cost for recycling collection; it is included in your standard garbage collection rate.
Please place recyclable materials into the recycling cart and make sure the lid closes. Set out your recycling by 7 a.m. to ensure collection. Do not set your recycling cart in the street, alley or sidewalk.
Check out the acceptable recycling materials page to see a list of items you can put in your recycling cart. Recyclables should go into your cart loose, they may not be accepted if they are bagged.
If you believe your pickup has been missed, contact Waste Management at 763.783.5423 or email email@example.com.
Solid waste and recycling guide
Extra recyclables are collected free of charge. Place them in a paper bag, cardboard box or an old recycling bin next to your cart. If you have excess cardboard, cut or fold the cardboard into 3 feet by 3 feet sections, and bundle them with twine, string or tape. Place the bundles next to your recycling cart.
You can change your cart size or request an additional one by completing the recycling cart selection form or by calling utility billing at 952.924.2111. Extra recycling carts are provided at no additional cost.
Walk-up service is an optional service for residents who may not be able to set their recycling cart out at the curb or alley. Waste Management can collect your recycling cart from a different location on your property for an extra fee.
Walk-up service is billed directly to residents on an annual basis by Waste Management. The rate for recycling walk-up is $3 per month plus taxes and fees.
Sign up by calling Waste Management at 763.783.5423.
Note: Walk-up service is also offered for garbage and organics ($5 per month, per material type, plus taxes and fees).
The city’s contractor, Simple Recycling, temporarily discontinued collection service due to COVID-19 safety precautions. The curbside collection of clothing and small household goods resumes on April 27, 2020.
How you can participate
- Pick up Simple Recycling bags at city hall, The Rec Center or Municipal Service Center, or request bags online (Note: While city offices are closed due to COVID-19, please request bags online)
- Place items in the bag and tie shut. Items must be clean and dry.
- Set the bag at the curb by 7 a.m. on your recycling collection day.
Note: Even if your recycling cart is collected in the alley, set the Simple Recycling bags for collection at the curb. A recent postcard mailed out did not include this detail.
- When collected, a replacement bag will be left for you.
Below is a detailed list of acceptable items. Items must be placed in an orange Simple Recycling bag for collection.
- Men's, women's and children's clothing, coats, jackets, hats and shoes
- Jewelry, purses and backpacks
- Blankets, pillows and sleeping bags
- Curtains, drapes and tablecloths
- Clean burlap - free of dirt, leaves, and moisture (e.g. used to wrap trees or plants during winter)
- Pictures, picture frames and mirrors
- Irons, toasters and hairdryers
- Silverware, dishes, pots and pans
Visit the Simple Recycling webpage to report a missed pickup or find answers to frequently asked questions.
The city partners with Simple Recycling to provide curbside collection of unwanted clothing, shoes, accessories and small home goods.