While many of the City of St. Louis Park's programs focus on recycling and organics, we know that the best way to reduce your impact on our planet is by preventing and reducing waste in the first place. Reuse is a great way to keep existing items out of the trash, while also reducing the demand for new products. The city regularly hosts swap events to support reuse efforts.
Building Materials Donation Days
Friday, Sept. 13, 4:30 - 6:30 p.m. and Saturday, Sept. 14, 9 - 11 a.m.
Municipal Service Center, 7305 Oxford St.
Have extra materials from your latest building or remodeling project? Maybe you have leftover tile or hardware you don’t need but can’t return to the store? Or, maybe you removed old cabinets, but they are still in good condition. Don’t throw them out!
This event will be an opportunity to donate usable building materials to two local nonprofits that specialize in the reuse and resale of building materials. Better Futures Minnesota and Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity ReStore will be onsite during the event to vet all materials for quality and potential for resale. Our partners reserve the right to refuse unusable materials. All items deemed acceptable will be taken for free.
Used items in good condition will be accepted unless otherwise noted.
- Cabinetry - bath vanities, kitchen cabinets, cabinet doors
- Countertops - laminate and stone (straight sections only; no peeling, deep scratches, burn marks or excessive caulking)
- Doors - interior (solid wood, no hollow core) and exterior (metal)
- Flooring - hardwood (new and used) and laminate (new only)
- Grout, mudding – new, unopened containers only
- Hardware – handles, pulls, hinges
- Light fixtures – no shiny brass
- Lumber – 4 foot minimum length
- Nails, screws – no rust, in original box/container (no jars or glass)
- Plumbing fixtures – faucets
- Tile – new only, full boxes
- Tools – electric (corded or battery powered), hand (screw drivers, wrenches, hand saws, hammers, etc.) and yard (rakes, shovels, etc.)
- Windows – unbroken only
Items NOT accepted: appliances, furniture, toilets, paint, stain, varnish, aerosols, mercury thermostats, roofing shingles, electronics, garbage, recyclables
This event is open to residents of the cities of St. Louis Park, Edina, Golden Valley and Hopkins.
Inclement weather could affect this event.
If you have questions about the event, contact Emily Barker at email@example.com or 952.924.2187.
Choose to Reuse
Watch for Hennepin County's Choose to Reuse coupon books, which are usually available from Aug. 1 through Oct. 31 each year. The books support local retailers that rent, repair, resell, consign and exchange used goods. You can find great deals on quality products while helping to protect the environment.
When the coupon books are available, you can pick them up at participating retail locations, Hennepin County Service Centers, Hennepin County libraries and at these city building locations:
For more information, visit Hennepin County’s Choose to Reuse program or call 612.348.3777.
Opt out of phone books
If you don't use phone books anymore, you can opt out of phone book delivery by going to the Yellow Pages opt-out site.
If you haven’t opted out and have unwanted phone books, place them in your recycling cart for collection.