Recycling requirements for multifamily buildings
A summary of the St. Louis Park requirements are as follows:
- Buildings must have a minimum of 20 gallons of recycling per dwelling unit per week. This is equal to one cubic yard of recycling per ten (10) units.
- The collection point for recycling must be available to tenants at all times and be located in close proximity to garbage containers.
- Building owners/property management shall provide educational materials to all residents upon move-in and annually thereafter.
Free guides are available from Hennepin County, both in print and digitally. Note: Due to COVID-19, Hennepin County has temporarily suspended ordering for print materials.
- English Recycling Guide
- Spanish Recycling Guide (Guia de reciclaje)
- Russian Recycling Guide (Руководство по обращению с бытовыми отходами)
- Somali Recycling Guide (Tilmaanta Dib uwarshadaynta)
- Hmong Recycling Guide (Cov Lus Qhia Txog Kev Rov Coj Los Tsim Siv Dua Tshiab)
A letter detailing these requirements was sent to multifamily properties in April 2018; a copy can be seen here.
Organics for multifamily residents
Most multifamily buildings do not have organics collection on-site. In order to make the opportunity available, the city offers an organics drop-site program. The program is free to multifamily residents, and the city provides a complimentary starter kit of compostable bags. NOTE: Due to COVID-19, city buildings are closed, so we are currently unable to provide starter kits.
View the multifamily organics drop-site map. Residents will be given exact locations and access information (several carts are locked to prevent contamination) after signing up.
To learn more, watch the multifamily organics drop-site presentation.
If you would like to participate, complete the multifamily organics drop-site sign-up form.
If you are interested in getting organics collection at your multifamily building, contact Emily Barker (email@example.com or 952.924.2187) for assistance. Learn more about one condominium's experience with starting on-site organics collection here.
Multifamily properties with eight units or less can participate in the city’s residential curbside program, including recycling, organics and garbage collection, as long the amount of waste generated can be collected in city-provided carts, not dumpsters.
Service levels and collection frequencies are available as follows:
- Garbage (weekly): 30-gallons (one small cart) up to 360-gallons (four large carts)
- Recycling (every-other-week): 30, 60 or 90-gallon, no limit on number of carts
- Organics (weekly): 30 or 60-gallon
Rates charged are the same as those charged for other residential customers. View current rates.
Carts must be brought to the curb on collection day unless the building opts to pay for walk up service (restrictions may apply). Participation in the program by any multifamily residential building can be terminated at any time by the city.