Requirements for multi-family residential buildings
All multi-family residential buildings are required by city ordinance (as well as Hennepin County ordinance and state law) to offer recycling to their tenants. In 2017, the city updated Chapter 22 of the City Code. The new ordinance was adopted in December. A summary of the requirements are as follows:
- Buildings must have a minimum of 20 gallons of recycling per dwelling unit per week by July 1, 2018. This is equal to one cubic yard of recycling per ten units.
- The collection point for recycling must be available to tenants at all times, and be located in close proximity to garbage containers.
- Building owners/property management shall provide educational materials to all residents upon move-in and annually thereafter.
Organics recycling drop-sites
In 2017, the city started an organics drop-site program for multi-family residents. These drop-off sites offer an opportunity for multi-family residents to collect their food scraps and keep them out of the trash. The program is free for multi-family residents to participate, and the city provides a complimentary starter kit of compostable bags.
View the multi-family organics recycling drop-off sites. Residents who sign up will be given exact locations and access information (carts are locked to prevent contamination).
To learn more, watch the multi-family organics recycling drop-site presentation.
If you would like to participate, please complete the multi-family organics recycling drop-site sign-up form.
City recycling collection
Multi-family properties (up to eight units) can participate in any of the city’s single-family residential solid waste collection programs, including recycling, organics recycling and garbage, as long the following conditions are met:
- Service location is along existing single-family residential collection routes
- Amount of waste generated can be collected in city-provided carts, not dumpsters
Note: All programs provide up to two 90-gallon carts (two garbage, two recycling, two organics). Additional carts may be requested and are made available at the city's discretion. Additional carts will result in an increase in service fees.
The same rules and collection schedules apply to multi-family as to single-family residential and small businesses. Participation in the program by any multi-family residential building can be terminated at any time by the city.
- Garbage and organics recycling are collected weekly
- Recycling is collected every other week