Requirements for multifamily buildings
All multifamily buildings are required by city ordinance (see pages 22:13 - 22:14), as well as Hennepin County ordinance and state law, to offer recycling to their tenants.
A summary of the St. Louis Park requirements are as follows:
- Buildings must have a minimum of 20 gallons of recycling per dwelling unit per week. This is equal to one cubic yard of recycling per ten (10) units.
- The collection point for recycling must be available to tenants at all times and be located in close proximity to garbage containers.
- Building owners/property management shall provide educational materials to all residents upon move-in and annually thereafter.
A letter detailing these requirements was sent to multifamily properties in April 2018; a copy can be seen here.
Since 2017, the city has offered an organics drop-site program for multifamily residents. The program is free, and the city provides a complimentary starter kit of compostable bags. Residents will be given exact locations and access information (carts are locked to prevent contamination) after signing up.
View the multifamily organics drop-site map.
To learn more, watch the multifamily organics drop-site presentation.
If you would like to participate, complete the multifamily organics drop-site sign-up form.
City recycling collection
Multifamily properties with eight units or less can participate in the city’s residential curbside program, including recycling, organics and garbage collection, as long the amount of waste generated can be collected in city-provided carts, not dumpsters.
Service levels and collection frequencies are available as follows:
- Garbage (weekly): 30-gallons (one small cart) up to 360-gallons (four large carts)
- Recycling (every-other-week): 30, 60 or 90-gallon, no limit on number of carts
- Organics (weekly): 30 or 60-gallon
Rates charged are the same as those charged for other residential customers. View current rates.
Carts must be brought to the curb on collection day unless the building opts to pay for walk up service (restrictions may apply). Participation in the program by any multifamily residential building can be terminated at any time by the city.