Submit building plans online
You can use ProjectDox to submit building permit plans online for all commercial construction, commercial additions or alterations, or all residential construction. To see how, click here: How do I submit building plans online?
How to apply for a building or construction permit
See list of permit applications below. It is recommended that you download and save the application to your computer for your records. Some applications include an optional digital signature field - see how to create a digital signature with this step-by-step tutorial.
- Mail – Include a check for payment or a name and phone number to be contacted for credit card payment. Mail application to:
City of St. Louis Park
5005 Minnetonka Blvd
St. Louis Park, MN 55416
- Email – Email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a name and phone number to be contacted for credit card payment.
- Fax – Fax application to 952.924.2663. Fax is secured and you may add credit card information on the fax cover sheet.
- In person – Apply in person at the second floor inspections desk at City Hall, 5005 Minnetonka Boulevard. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Online – Apply online with ePermits for the following single-family residential, single-items only. If you don’t see what you are looking for in the following list, you must apply by mail, email, fax or in person. Note: In ePermits you must click the "Create and Print " permit box in order for the process to be completed.
- Building permit
- Residential re-roofing with asphalt shingles on a sloped roof
- Residential re-roofing a house, or house and garage, or garage only
- Residential re-siding of a house, or house and garage, or garage only
- Electrical permit
- A/C and/or furnace, or a NSP saver switch
- Mechanical Permit
- A/C and/or furnace, or a single fuel burning appliance
- Plumbing permit
- Water heater, water softener or drinking system
- Point of sale permit
- Single-family home, townhouse, condo or duplex
- Building permit
You may need a construction management plan
Construction management plans are required for some projects. To find out if you need one, visit the construction management plan page.
Building and construction permits
Handouts and forms
Permits related to zoning ordinances
The following permits and applications are related to zoning ordinances and are administered by the community development department. If you have any questions about these permits, call 952.924.2575.
Administrative permit applications
- Fence permit
- Mobile use permit — food truck, medical truck, etc.
- Shed permit — 200 square feet or smaller
- Sign permit — Permanent
- Sign permit — Temporary
- Parking lot or driveway
- Temporary use permit — for events lasting more than 14 days
Administrative permit handouts
- Building a fence
- Garages and accessory buildings
- Locating a property line
- Setbacks — New construction, addition and attached garages
- Setbacks — Porches, decks, patios and stoops
- Storage sheds
Non-administrative permits — The following permits require Board of Zoning Appeals, Planning Commission or City Council approval. Applications can be found on the planning & zoning page. Please call community development at 952.924.2575 for more information before completing your application.
- Comprehensive plan amendment application
- Conditional use permit
- Conditional use permit — For fill or excavation of more than 400 cubic yards
- Planned unit development application
- Subdivision/plat application
- Vacation application — Petition to vacate public highway, street, alley or aasement
- Variance application
- Zoning map amendment application
- Zoning text amendment application