|Apply for a permit||Submit plans online||Schedule inspections|
|Pay approved plan review fee||
|Property permit history search
How to apply for a building or construction permit
Beginning Jan. 1, 2019 the primary method of submitting residential and commercial permits is online through ePermits.
Building plans should be submitted online through ProjectDox.
For steps on how to submit permits and plans online, view the ePermits and ProjectDox guide.
We highly recommend submitting permits and plans online as it will save time in the review and approval process. This also falls under the city council’s initiatives for reducing paper usage.
If you are unable to submit your permits or plans online, below are some alternative ways to submit.
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org. Include name and phone number to be contacted for payment.
- In person – A computer is available at city hall to submit your plans and permits online. Office hours are Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Fax – 952.924.2663. Fax is secured; you may add credit card information on the fax cover sheet.
- Mail – Include a check or a name and phone number to be contacted for credit card payment. Mail application to:
City of St. Louis Park
Building and Energy Department
5005 Minnetonka Blvd.
St. Louis Park, MN 55416
View the 2019 permit fee schedule.
Building and construction permits
Construction management plans are required for some projects. To find out if you need one, visit the construction management plan page.
|Building Permit||Plumbing permit|
|Electrical permit||Sewer and water permit|
|Mechanical permit||Temporary noise permit|
|Commercial additions/alterations||Residential new construction|
|Commercial new construction||Residential remodels/additions|
|Commercial roof permit requirements||Residential solar PV system permit|
|Backflow preventer testing form||Heating equipment inspection record|
|Data request form||Lead certification exemption form|
|Demolition deposit form||Property owner waiver|
|Energy code compliance||Special testing and inspection schedule|
* For fillable PDF forms on your mobile device, download Adobe Acrobat reader through the App Store or Google Play.
Permits related to zoning ordinances
The following permits and applications are related to zoning ordinances and are administered by the community development department. If you have any questions about these permits, call 952.924.2575.
Administrative permit applications
- Fence permit
- Mobile use vehicle permit — food truck, medical truck, etc.
- Shed (200 square feet or smaller) or detached deck permit
- Sign permit — Permanent
- Sign permit — Temporary
- Parking lot or driveway permit
- Temporary use permit — for events lasting more than 14 days
Administrative permit handouts
- Building a fence
- Garages and accessory buildings
- Locating a property line
- Setbacks — New construction, addition and attached garages
- Setbacks — Porches, decks, patios and stoops
The following permits and applications require board of zoning appeals, planning commission or city council approval. Applications can be found on the planning and zoning page.
- Comprehensive plan amendment
- Conditional use permit
- Planned unit development
- Zoning map or text amendment
- Certificate of occupancy/land use registration application - For tenant or use change
- Engineering permits — Right of way, dewatering, erosion and sediment control, and parking
- Fire permits — Recreational fire and fire protection