|See below for types of permits and plans that can be submitted online.|
How to Apply for a Building or Construction Permit
See list of permit applications below. It is recommended that you download and save the application to your computer for your records. Some applications include an optional digital signature field - see how to create a digital signature with this step-by-step tutorial.
- Mail application to City of St. Louis Park, Inspections Department, 5005 Minnetonka Boulevard, St. Louis Park, MN 55416. Provide a check for payment, or include a name and phone number to be contacted for credit card payment.
- Email application to email@example.com. Include a name and phone number to be contacted for credit card payment.
- Fax application to 952.924.2663. Fax is secured and you may add credit card information on the fax cover sheet.
- Apply in person at City Hall, 5005 Minnetonka Boulevard. The Inspections Department is on 2nd Floor, and office hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30AM – 4:30PM.
- Apply online with ePermits for the following single-family residential, single-items only. If you don’t see what you are looking for in the following list, you must apply by mail, email, fax or in person. Note: In ePermits you must click the Create and Print Permit box in order for the process to be completed.
- Building Permit for Residential
- Residential re-roofing with asphalt shingles on a sloped roof
- Residential re-roofing a house, or house and garage, or garage only
- Residential re-siding of a house, or house and garage, or garage only
- Electrical Permit for Residential
- A/C and/or Furnace, or a NSP Saver Switch
- Mechanical Permit for Residential
- A/C and/or Furnace, or a Single Fuel Burning Appliance
- Plumbing Permit for Residential
- Water Heater, Water Softener, or a Drinking System
- Point of Sale Permit for Residential
- Single Family Home, Townhouse, Condo, or Duplex
Submit Building Plans Online
You can use ProjectDox to submit building permit plans online for new commercial construction, commercial additions or alterations, or new residential construction. To see how, visit the FAQs page and click on How do I submit building plans online?
You May Need a Construction Management Plan
Construction Management Plans are required for some projects. To find out if you need one, visit the Construction Management Plan page.
Building and Construction Permits
Permit Packet — New Residential Construction
Permit Packet — Residential Remodels/Additions
Permit Packet — Residential Decks
Permit Packet — Commercial, Additions and Alterations
Permit Packet — Commercial, New Construction
Sewer & Water Permit
Temporary Noise Permit
Handouts and Forms
Alternative Material Design or Method Request
Backflow Preventer Testing Form
Egress Window Handout
Fact Sheet – Backflow Devices
Fact Sheet – Radon Control Systems
Fact Sheet – Solar Photovoltaic Systems
Guidelines for Asphalt Shingle Roofing
Guidelines for the Construction of Garages
Guidelines for the Construction of Porches
Heating Equipment Inspection Record
Hiring a Residential Building Contractor
Lead Certification Exemption Form
Property Owner Waiver
Permits Related to Zoning Ordinances
The following permits and applications are related to zoning ordinances and are administered by the Community Development Department. If you have any questions about these permits, call Community Development at 952.924.2575.
Administrative Permit Handouts
Building a Fence
Garages and Accessory Buildings
Locating a Property Line
Setbacks — New Construction, Addition & Attached Garages
Setbacks — Porches, Decks, Patios & Stoops
Non-Administrative Permits — The following permits require Board of Zoning Appeals, Planning Commission or City Council approval. Applications can be found on the Planning & Zoning page. Please call Community Development at 952.924.2575 for more information before completing your application.
- Comprehensive Plan Amendment Application
- Conditional Use Permit
- Conditional Use Permit for Fill or Excavation of More Than 400 Cubic Yards
- Planned Unit Development Application
- Subdivision/Plat Application
- Vacation Application — Petition to Vacate Public Highway, Street, Alley or Easement
- Variance Application
- Zoning Map Amendment Application
- Zoning Text Amendment Application